'00 Sport refuses to idle

Tweakin'Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Providence, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi all,
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport with 85,000 miles and with the 4.0 SOHC engine. I have an idle problem that has been getting progressively worse over the last 2 months. At first, occasionally at start up my truck would not run unless I kept my foot on the gas, but after a few minutes there would be no problem and it would idle fine without applying the gas. Now my truck will die unless I keep the gas applied at all times when I drive it. The CEL has never come on and I changed the air filter. I searched the forums and I was thinking that I should clean my MAF sensor or clean the IAC valve. I have limited experience working on cars, so I wanted to know which was more likely the cause of the problem. I want to dig around under the hood as little as possible. Also, with the exception of the tamper-proof Torx bit, do I need any other specialized tools for either job? Thanks in advance for any replies.

MIKE

You need a new IAC valve. You can take a punch and tap the tamper proof tabs with a hammer to make them normal torx screws. After that 5 minutes later you will be fixed. Some IAC are cleanable, some don't open. Cleaning them is normally only a temporary fix, and they are under $50.

I would second the recommendation for a new IAC. If it were your MAF, you would likely get a Check Engine light. I would start with the IAC first.

Thanks so much guys. I cleaned out the IAC valve with the electronic cleaner spray and now the truck idles like it was new. That was the best 4 dollars and 10 minutes that I have ever spent in my life. I know that cleaning it may only be a temporary fix, but at least I'll know what the problem is if it should ever happen again. Thanks again, this site rocks!!!

MIKE

Back