• Register Today It's free!

00M12-manifold leaks

andypalmer

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 SOHC XLT
I am pretty confident that I have a leaking manifold. I am about to have the 00M12 kit fitted but I have been advised that I should:

a. Have both front and rear tensionners replaced (kit has front only)
b. Be careful about who does it as the tensionner requires special tools or it will get worse.

At the moment I don't have any problem with either timing chain but I was going to get it done as it is in the kit and my X is approaching the allegedly dangerous 80-100k zone.

Anyone have any suggestions as to whether I should risk enraging the beast of the timing chain or leave well alone? Is it worth doing if I only do the front, I had been advised that this is the worst of the two and more likely to go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well. Never heard of special tools just to change the tensioner. I've installed 7 of these kits now and it is very straight forward just a bit fiddly. The kit only comes with the front tensioner and in all but the worst cases that is good enough. You will find that the 'O' ring material of the new ones is different to the originals. So far 7 happy customers and no problems. No rattles and no leaks.

If your going to have the intake off definately do the tensioner. The only thing I didn't have on hand was a 27 millimeter open end wrench for removing the old tensioner.

I have a noise that sounds like a whirring noise at the same speed as the engine which is only audible at idle, but that may be because it is masked at higher revs. I cannot isolate a specific location in the engine bay but it is both hot and cold. The odd thing is it appears less when the nose of the car is pointing downhill, when on flat ground or pointing uphill it is worse. I have had someone listen to my timing chains and they are confident it is not that. Also I have had a new auxiliary drive belt, tensionner and fan about 1000 miles ago. Is it likely to be one of these still bedding in?

The best way to find out what is causing the noise is to use a large screwdriver as a stethoscope. Place the tip on the alternator body etc and put your ear against the handle. This will amplify the sound. Just be careful with the moving parts.

Back