01 Explorer Front Drive Shaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer Front Drive Shaft

Torqueranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer 5.0l
I have an 01 Explorer w/ 4.0l with automatic tranny and I while ago I took the front drive shaft out because the ball and socket had worn itself out and the splines where almost gone ... But I tried picking up a new shaft and they are like $400 bucks ... So is there a cheaper way to repair the front shaft or replace it with some else like double cardon shaft????

Thanks
Jason SR

Here is what is on my truck
659293-01.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only way to put in a different drive shaft would be change the transfer case. Rock auto has that drive shaft for about 330.

Your pic does not reveal that the output shaft of the transfer case has a hollowed-out bowl into which the rounded end of the C-V fits. A double-cardon could be used if an intermediate mating yoke were made up, or the output shaft replaced with a compatible end, if such a shaft exists.

Or, since the ends of the shaft are fixed in location, that is, no travel up down or sideways, and the angle through the joints is fairly straight, a single U-joint might not produce unacceptable vibration. Pickups have used single joints at both ends for years. imp

How about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-05-Front...xplorer|Make:Ford&hash=item232010bc8e&vxp=mtr

Price includes a $50 core which will be refunded when you return your old shaft with the pre-paid shipping. I have purchased other parts from Detroit Axle and had good service from them. I know they replace the CV, not sure on the u-joint but those are cheap and easy swap yourself if it wasnt already done.

Edit: make sure you measure your old shaft to match up.

Today I was playing around and found out that superlift made a double cardon shaft for their lift kits .. So does anyone know where I can get these parts ???

Today I was playing around and found out that superlift made a double cardon shaft for their lift kits .. So does anyone know where I can get these parts ???

Are you certain the shaft you refer to was NOT an AXLE SHAFT? When raising one of these vehicles, the TRANSFER CASE and FRONT DIFFERENTIAL are both raised an equal amount with the truck, thus no changes occur in SHAFT ANGLES between the transfer case and differential; the old driveshaft works the same as before the "lift". imp

Are you certain the shaft you refer to was NOT an AXLE SHAFT? When raising one of these vehicles, the TRANSFER CASE and FRONT DIFFERENTIAL are both raised an equal amount with the truck, thus no changes occur in SHAFT ANGLES between the transfer case and differential; the old driveshaft works the same as before the "lift". imp

LOL Thanks for the input
I am certain it's the front drive shaft ...If you want I can post pics up...But splines that go into the CV joint are really bad worn and the CV joint is fine... But I was looking to raid the junkyard and build a shaft that would be cheaper to rebuild when worn out instead of keep CV joints ...Thats why I was checking out google for explorer drive shafts and saw that superlift made a drive shaft with double cardon shaft instead of the CV joint ..

THE TRANSFER CASE IS NOT DROPPED.....

there is no drop bracket for the transfer case in the superlift kit.

so.......the angle IN FACT does change.

:salute:

THE TRANSFER CASE IS NOT DROPPED.....

there is no drop bracket for the transfer case in the superlift kit.

so.......the angle IN FACT does change.

:salute:

Hold on a second, please! Something I may be missing, here. The transfer case is fastened to the TRUCK, right? So is the front differential. So, if you RAISE the whole truck UP, the wheels drop down, the AXLE SHAFTS get a steeper angle to the differential, but the front drive shaft is raised up along with the truck, ain't it? So, the ANGLE between the transfer case & driveshaft don't change, right? And the angle between the driveshaft and front differential also don't change, does it?

Am I missing something here, in understanding what "lift" means? imp

Hold on a second, please! Something I may be missing, here. The transfer case is fastened to the TRUCK, right? So is the front differential. So, if you RAISE the whole truck UP, the wheels drop down, the AXLE SHAFTS get a steeper angle to the differential, but the front drive shaft is raised up along with the truck, ain't it? So, the ANGLE between the transfer case & driveshaft don't change, right? And the angle between the driveshaft and front differential also don't change, does it?

Am I missing something here, in understanding what "lift" means? imp

yep, but that's not what you said.

"Are you certain the shaft you refer to was NOT an AXLE SHAFT? When raising one of these vehicles, the TRANSFER CASE and FRONT DIFFERENTIAL are both raised an equal amount with the truck, thus no changes occur in SHAFT ANGLES between the transfer case and differential; the old driveshaft works the same as before the "lift". imp "

you said this, this is wrong....no big deal, but the transfercase stays on the
frame. it DOES change the angle of the axle

no biggie dude

Back