Wanted - 01 Sport Replacement inner and outer Rocker Panels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 01 Sport Replacement inner and outer Rocker Panels

Parts or services wanted

Devan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 BoostedXPLR Sport
Callsign
Devman
It seems to me that replacement rocker panels for the 01-03 sport are extremely hard to come by or at least I'm having a hard time finding them and you would think that they would be much more readily available since everybodys rockers rust the hell out. Mine are pretty bad. And I'm not looking for the slip on panel I'm lookin for the offic replacement rockers. Somebody might know where to find the outer rocker panels but based on my couple hrs of research the inners are probably impossible to come by and I might have to try and source them from a junkyard(wish me luck on finding them in decent shape). Does anybody know if the rocker panels from the 96-2000 sport will fit on the 2001-2003 sport?

Also does anybody know if the slip on panels have as much strength as the factory or replacement panels would? Like it would be nice to be able to replace my inner and outer rockers and have the peace of mind knowing that I could jack the vehicle from the pinch welds if I wanted to(prolly never would). But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you need the rocker to extend into the 1/4, nobody makes that part. if you just need the rocker itself, 95-00 will fit. same with the inners. as far as i know, nobody makes them either. all you can do really is to get a strait 16 gauge sheet metal and weld it into place.

Yup, what he said ^. I had to buy 4 door rockers and they custom cut and welded all back together with very little body filler. They absolutely don't make 2 door rocker panels.
Loquetus

I might have actually come across outer rocker panel replacements for the two door Explorer Sport from 96 to 2000 can you guys actually confirm that the 96 to 2000 rocker panels will fit the 2001 to 2003. I don't doubt that they will. if this guy I'm in contact with ends up having the wrong rockers, like if they're slip-on style or whatever then I'll probably contact Florida or California and have them hack up an 01-03 Explorer Sport for me that has rockers in good shape but I'd still imagine they're hard to come by

if you need the rocker to extend into the 1/4, nobody makes that part. if you just need the rocker itself, 95-00 will fit. same with the inners. as far as i know, nobody makes them either. all you can do really is to get a strait 16 gauge sheet metal and weld it into place.

Yup, what he said ^. I had to buy 4 door rockers and they custom cut and welded all back together with very little body filler. They absolutely don't make 2 door rocker panels.
Loquetus

Yeah I figured I was going to have to do some metal work I was thinking about maybe getting some replacement rocker panels for an Explorer Sport Trac and making them work and getting some 16 gauge sheet metal for the inner and make that work like Vroom was sayin. as of now the rust is not into the dog leg but it won't be much longer before it is and I don't think the dog legs are that hard to come by. either that or I'll contact somebody down south or out west and have them cut the entire floor to rocker panel section out

this ^^^
i am pretty sure the rocker is the same going back to 91 or 92 when they started making the sports. its just where they meet up to the dog leg i'm not sure about. i did rockers both in and out on my kids 01 sport early in the winter. the bottoms of the dog legs where gone, and when i say gone, i mean gone. the rocker on the otherhand was ok mid in. i just extended the rocker to the rear wheel well and made my own dog leg/lower 1/4. fast forward 9 months, and i just finished doing a 00 sport for him (the 01 motor has sounded better, and this was a beater to see if he would take care of it, and he has) and once again had to do rockers on it as well

Sorry for the late post. I would like to edit this by saying I did buy the rockers for the 2 door rig on ebay but it is the dog legs they don't make for it. I had bought the dog legs for the 4 door and that is what they cut up and added metal to it then welded it back together and custom fit for my rig. Again sorry for the late post.
Loquetus

Back