• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Trac exhaust questions

SnakeCharmer

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT 4x4, '01 ST 4x2
I have already searched and read through all the exhaust threads I could but some things I did not really see adressed, so I still have a couple of questions.

1- I got under my truck today and saw that it has a single in, single out muffler that is absolutely huge. There is also what looks to be a smaller muffler behind that on in the pipe that goes over the axle. So what is this smaller muffler for and does it need to be there.

2- I saw a couple references to backpressure or lack of causing ill effects. Is that only an issue when the cats are removed? I have absolutely no intention of removing those but I would assume that reducing backpressure is the point of exhaust mods so kinda confused here.

3- Is there any good reason that I cant just cut out the stock very huge muffler and the little secondary muffler and weld in a decent aftermarket one and retain the factory piping? I actually have a Dunomax super turbo that I am considering using for this.

4- Does modified exhaust require anything like a custom tuned chip or anything weird like that. Probably a stupid question but I am honestly fairly stupid about anything past the older EEC-IV systems

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to build a hot rod and sound is not my goal either. I am an old school V8 guy and as far as I am concerned, no sound is the best sound for a V6.:D So no flowmasters here. It just seems like my Trac is a little down on towing power from what I think it should be and I am thinking that opening the exhaust up just a little bit might help out there and I could definately use an extra MPG or 2.

1- The little muffler is a resonator and it is only there to help quiet the exhaust. Removal will not affect the vehicle's performance.

2- The back pressure issue deals with cat removal. You want some (which the cats will provide) but you don't want a lot (which the stock muffler causes).

3- Go for it. Its perfectly fine to go this route.

4. No custom tuning neeeded.

Back