2nd Gen Sport trac exhaust upgrade - gibson | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen Sport trac exhaust upgrade - gibson

Tike

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Ford Sport Trac XLT
hey all, over the weekend i replaced the stock catback exhaust with the gibson aluminzed cat back system. 08 ST

first off. My experience in summary is that this thing is not made for the sport trac. it is just extremely close to fitting.... (assuming their is a frame length difference in the ST vs X. )

wanted others feed back if they ran the exhaust on their ST and had clearance issues or issues with the metal hanger pegs not lining up. (first was so close they were rubbing and the last hanger was so long it was almot hitting the rear tire.

i had to cut and 1-1.5 inches off the front of the pipe that connects to the outlet of the muffler because it was to long because were back of thispipe bends 90 degrees to clear the Rear Driver CV, it was hitting the cv and very badly at that. i tried everything to get clearance and could not ( double checked the pipes were full inserted in one another. and everything was as far forward as possible.)...... After the cut i was able to clear the CV by about 1-1.25 inches. But i was worried that using the U-bolts to secure the pipes would move a bit and cause the issue to occur again.. possibly at highway speeds if i hit a bump. pothole. etc. i tack-welded the inlet and outlet pipes to the muffler and everything is working great now! and the truck sounds awesome! also noted that i replaced the stock bolts as they did not fit the new holes in gibson bracket that met the Y pipe.

anyone that is curious i did run the truck with nothing past the cats. sounded like an old straight piped dodge. very mean sounding. have pictures and a video / audio if anyone is interested

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id like to hear it with the Gibson exhaust I’ve been looking at those since it’s pretty much the only option I can find besides having something made I have the 4.0L

Id like to hear it with the Gibson exhaust I’ve been looking at those since it’s pretty much the only option I can find besides having something made I have the 4.0L

i have the 4.6L but im getting the inlet and outlet along with a hanger welded up on monday. so it will be 100% finished. right now its tack welded as the uclamp / or whatever suck. il take a video and post the link up here for you. i got the aluminized and its all ready geting surface rust. so i would high temp paint it before you install anything as preventative

Cool I kinda wish I got one with the v8 sport tracs are hard to find around here in nice shape that aren’t way over priced glad I got the one I did. I was reading your thread about lifts and leveling kits really want to do something with some bigger rims and tires thanks for posting the information

(assuming their is a frame length difference in the ST vs X. )
Just FYI, they are completely different frames, although some magazines called them "stretched versions". From the rear of the ST cab forward is likely a mirror image. ST has about 17 inches over the Explorer in both wheelbase and overall length. It sounds as if the Gibson was indeed spec'd for the ST, even if not well done.

I've listened to a couple 4.6L ST and 4.6L Explorers on youtube with the Gibson catback. Its pretty remarkable how the ST does sound throatier. If thats even a word. Post up some sound clips and a photo if you would.

just throwing this out there. If anyone with an Adrenalin has swapped their exhaust set up cat back and are using different tips, I want to buy your stock exhaust tips!

Heres the audio/video clips. got the Gibson exhaust welded last monday, then the eagles parade was Thursday for the super bowl win. so sorry for getting to this now.

The audio doesn't do it justice. its more define and louder. then what it seems.

windows down. shifting though the gears.
20180212_173902.mp4

windows up.
20180212_174242.mp4

hot soak start. outside and inside with rev.
20180212_174638.mp4

Just FYI, they are completely different frames, although some magazines called them "stretched versions". From the rear of the ST cab forward is likely a mirror image. ST has about 17 inches over the Explorer in both wheelbase and overall length. It sounds as if the Gibson was indeed spec'd for the ST, even if not well done.

I've listened to a couple 4.6L ST and 4.6L Explorers on youtube with the Gibson catback. Its pretty remarkable how the ST does sound throatier. If thats even a word. Post up some sound clips and a photo if you would.

check out my videos lmk what you think!. and yes i had the front hanger moved up and over about 2 inches both ways. and then cut the pipe that goes into the outlet about 2 inches and then finally bent and cut the final exhaust hanger off the tailpipe to get the last hanger to fit. everything fits snug. no rattles. VERY VERY tight clearance around drive rear CV, tight going over rear cross member and it is touching the rear bumper. just look at the video and youll see.

Back