01 Timing chain rattle question(s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Timing chain rattle question(s)

dono46

Reaction score
City, State
northern VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
Hi all , I recently purchased a 2001 Trac 4x4, and really love the truck, but I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone might be able to shed some light on. First here is the rundown of the Trac. 2001 model with 194k miles. She runs really good for the high miles, and aside from a couple issues, I cant complain for the price I got the truck for ($3500).
My big concern with the truck is I started to notice the notorious timing chain guide rattle after I purchased it. I have read all the articles on this problem that I could find, but didnt see one that was totaly similar to the symptoms I am having.
The rattle can be heard some (not all) the time on start-up, and only happens once again some , not all the time, between 2100 and 2500 rpm without a big load on the engine (such as going up an incline). The wierd thing is that the sound comes at different conditions of temp.
My question is, will replacing the tensioners I can get to, perhaps fix this for a while? Im hesitant to throw a couple hundred dollars at a problem that can only be fixed with a full replacement of tensioners and guides.( I have noticed no debris in the oil from the guides).
Also, if spending $1200 at a repair shop for the full guides replacement would make sense on an engine with this high mileage? I have seen some remanufactured engine companys, that have 100k mile warranty for about twice the cost of the tensioner/ guides replacement repair, and am wondering if anyone has some feed-back on this .
Thanks for taking the time to read my post , and hope to hear some encouraging replies!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might be cost effective to do a new engine if you are keeping the Sport Trac.

remanufacture options

Thats kind of the direction I am leaning. Anyone out there have any good suggestions on a quality company to look at for a remanufactured engine? I have seen Jasper, but would like to hear from someone who might have gone this route. Thanks!

You could also take it to a good mechanic shop and have them rebuild the engine. I've never had to do that but my dad is going to have it done on his little toyota soon. It has 235,000 miles on it and it needs a little tune up.

Hey all, I have a 99 sohc that had a rattle iof u reved it quickly and would rattle when it came down off rev! Now its all the time, start up ,idle driving, and briefly at shutoff! My Q is, is there a certain guide that goes bad on these a lot? I heard the one on the primary is the most common! And if so how hard is it to do the primary?

Back