02-05 Explorer Towing Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02-05 Explorer Towing Questions

Hello everyone.

I am considering adding a tow package to my Explorer. I know that it consists of 3.73's a transmission oil cooler and the class three hitch.

I don't plan on doing the gears as I don't tow over 3,500lbs often (once or twice a year maybe) so instead I was going to compensate by putting a larger trans cooler on it. Also, on my old Explorer that had the towing package I towed with 245 70 16s instead of the 245's so I assume that brought the theoretical axle gearing somewhere in the 3.6x range anyway.

What would be the biggest trans cooler I could get for this thing? What does it actually consist of to install. I couldn't find any threads on here about it, only threads on adding a second cooler to trucks that had the tow package already.
Oh and also the hitches are just a simple bolt on swap right? I know the 2006 and up are welded on but I believe the 02-05 aren't.

Thanks everyone

Gen 3 hitches are bolt on.
Gen 4 hitches are welded.

If you do this partial upgrade, please be honest if you ever sell the vehicle. Most Explorer buyers know that if the truck has the 2" receiver, it has the factory HD towing package, including full cooling and axle upgrades. Selling without full disclosure could lead someone to believe they have 5500 (V6) or 7000+ (V8) capacity, when you truely still only have 3500lbs.

Gen 3 hitches are bolt on.
Gen 4 hitches are welded.

If you do this partial upgrade, please be honest if you ever sell the vehicle. Most Explorer buyers know that if the truck has the 2" receiver, it has the factory HD towing package, including full cooling and axle upgrades. Selling without full disclosure could lead someone to believe they have 5500 (V6) or 7000+ (V8) capacity, when you truely still only have 3500lbs.

Absolutely. I would tell the next owner to only tow 3500 with it and that I did it for things like hitch carriers, towing my dads car trailer empty (3000lbs) and as an aesthetic things (that actually matters to me lol)

If I wind up doing the trans cooler that I have in mind that will bump it up in my mind to around 4500 or so but I would let a new owner decide that for themselves.

Reality is I considered selling it and I just can't justify it. Not enough money to get what I really want as a replacement and I do love my ex.

So if putting on a 2in hitch for 45 bucks allows me to do a lot of little stuff I want to do I feel it is money well spent.

One more thing, did the V6 with tow package have a bigger engine radiator as well??

Back