2000 Explorer - Towing question

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
I saw in my owner's manual that the towing capacity for my Explorer is 2,200 lbs, assuming the cabin is empty except for the driver.

Do you think it would be safe to tow a car dolly with a relatively small car on it, total weight approx. 3,000 lbs?

I only ask because 2,200 lbs seems ridiculously low to me, for a vehicle with a full body-on-frame and a 4.0 liter engine. It's the OHV motor with a 5-speed manual transmission, 3.23 gears, 2WD, 2-door. Also, where is the limitation coming from? Is it the motor, the cooling system, the clutch, gears, etc? Obviously, the heavier 5.0 Explorers could tow upwards of 5,000 lbs, so the frames, driveshafts, and rear ends shouldn't be the limitation.

Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very interested in hearing the answer to this.

The only semi-intelligent answer I could come up with is setup. Looking at this sheet, http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec2000.htm, it looks like the low towing capacity is for the Sports and XLS. I think most of those had the greatest chance of being base model, so no towing package or good gears. Plus there would be a higher chance of the 4.0 OHV than the higher trims which would have the SOHC or 5.0 and towing packages.

Just my guess. Looking forward to a more definitive answer.

The manual, the lighter weight of the 2 door and the 3.23 gearing is what's causing the really low tow rating.

The OHV isn't the limiting factor, nor is the XL/XLS.

My XL is rated for 5,600 lbs, that's because of 3.73 gearing and the auto trans.

^+1. Lighter weight makes it harder to control a heavy trailer. And the gearing meant for fuel saving is really not helping either.

I understand the gearing causes a lower rating, that makes sense to me (total GCWR drops from 7,000 lbs to 6,000 lbs - a 16.6% drop - is close to the gear ratio difference, 3.73 to 3.23 - a 15.6% drop).

Sonic, The 4-door model is rated at 2000 lbs towing, so the lighter weight doesn't make sense. I was thinking the short wheelbase might also matter but then why would the 4-door be less?

The 4 door weighs more than 200 lbs, more, which is where you're losing the 200 lbs on towing with it.

The manual is the greatest limiting factor on it.

In order to move a trailer you need to have adequate pull force - besides engine torque and power, you need a certain friction force to put that power to the ground.
Imagine a bicycle tire connected to the 250HP engine - it won't pull as much as a wider tire because is lacking friction.
Adding weight on top of a given tire increases the pulling friction capacity - until you reach the tire limit.
A heavier vehicle may pull more load because it has a bigger friction capability on a given set of tires. But a heavier vehicle also means that remaining load might be decreased if the tires friction is not sufficient for the added weight.
This is where AWD versus 2WD comes in place - sending power to the ground with 4 tires allow to pull more that with only 2 tires, because they have more friction capability.

Also the wheelbase controls the trailer steer torque. Longer wheelbase can control sideways a bigger weight, if we are keeping the trailer tongue at same length.

So... all in all there are many factors to consider.

The manual is the greatest limiting factor on it.

The manual? Why the manual? Chilton's only goes what, 1-2 lbs? Haynes can't be much more.:D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

In order to move a trailer you need to have adequate pull force - besides engine torque and power, you need a certain friction force to put that power to the ground.
Imagine a bicycle tire connected to the 250HP engine - it won't pull as much as a wider tire because is lacking friction.
Adding weight on top of a given tire increases the pulling friction capacity - until you reach the tire limit.

A heavier vehicle may pull more load because it has a bigger friction capability on a given set of tires. But a heavier vehicle also means that remaining load might be decreased if the tires friction is not sufficient for the added weight.
This is where AWD versus 2WD comes in place - sending power to the ground with 4 tires allow to pull more that with only 2 tires, because they have more friction capability.

Also the wheelbase controls the trailer steer torque. Longer wheelbase can control sideways a bigger weight, if we are keeping the trailer tongue at same length.

So... all in all there are many factors to consider.

I agree with this to some extent...hypothetically. But Ford's data doesn't jive with it.

Based on what you said, the longer wheelbase and heavier 4-door with 4x4 should have higher towing capacity. The 4-door has reduced towing capacity, and 4x4 models are also lower capacity. So it seems that weight is the limiting factor.

And the more I read, the more it seems like it IS the manual transmission that Ford rates so low. This guy thinks its because Ford doesn't want to be responsible for burned out clutches from bad drivers.

Well, I couldn't take into account the maximum torque that can be delivered safely by the engine/transmission/transfer case combos.
That why I believe what Ford put in their manuals - they know what the transmissions are rated for.
It seems that the AWD with V8, 4R70W and Borg-Warner BW4403 are the winning combo.

PS: For all is worth, that's why a train locomotive is sooo heavy - to be able to pull all those cars.

The manual? Why the manual? Chilton's only goes what, 1-2 lbs? Haynes can't be much more.:D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

See, if it was the original Ford manual, we wouldn't be having this talk.

So how about a vote.

Think I can SAFELY tow a combined 2800-3000 lbs, a ~2600 lb car on a tow dolly without grenading my clutch or transmission?

I'm near sea level and its not excessively hilly.

Towing a higher weight is just about reducing stresses. You accelerate slower, turn slower, brake slower, and stay the heck out of high wind (depending on profile) and away from long, steep grades. How far are you going and how fast do you "need" to go?

They rate the towing based on cowboys who get in and go, don't give it a second thought. However it is a fairly old vehicle at this point. What it could tow new without a problem, might be a higher weight than what it can today.

Nobody mentioned tongue weight vs leaf springs on particular models. Might it be that Ford adjusted tow weight based on anticipated tongue weight for people who don't know both? I am not suggesting this, just asking the question.

So how about a vote.

Think I can SAFELY tow a combined 2800-3000 lbs, a ~2600 lb car on a tow dolly without grenading my clutch or transmission?

I'm near sea level and its not excessively hilly.
Why not? I would. There's low rolling resistance compared to a flying brick trailer

Bill

Do you know what a Mini Moke is?

I towed my Charger with one, not far though. I think you'll be safe, try to avoid uphill starts.

800px-Mini_Moke_-_Flickr_-_exfordy.jpg

I towed a 4200lb boat and trailer with a manual trans sport. I didn't go very far, maybe 15 miles at a time. Never had a problem. Just took it easy, and gave myself plenty of room to stop. The trailer had surge brakes, and they were a help.

Back