• Register Today It's free!

02 4.0 cat-back???

rangerracer29

Reaction score
City, State
ventura, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger XLT
i drive an 02 ranger 4.0,2wd. i would like a dual rear exit exhaust (personal preference) i know brands like gibson, magnaflow and others make a bolt on kit what brands wouldyou guys recommend ? and would it be easier to buy new mufflers and do my own piping?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a Gibson SS Single Side Swept on my 02 4.0 since around 03 and it is still in excellent condition. It was easy to install and I am glad I did it. I understand the dual Gibson exhaust is louder but if that is what you want go for it. I don't know how difficult the Gibson dual cat back is to install, but it has to be easier than making your own pipes. Gibson is kind of expensive but I think it is a quality system.

ya ive found the dual rear exit for a little under 400. i am considering my own pipes as welll tho with maybe a magnaflow muffler because i have a few friends who are quite good with making pipes whether exhaust or down pipes etc...just depends on what i can make work. ive always like the gibson tho and have not heard anything negative about their systems

I put a flowmaster super 44 dual kit on my 4.0 L this summer, ended up really nice. Doesn't sound like someone put a "walmart" muffler on their Dodge neon, but obviously it doesn't have the depth that you'd get from a V8 engine; kind of somewhere in the middle. Got the muffler, piping, hangers, and even tips all in a kit for (I think) ~$250 off of Ebay.
Edit - here's the link to the kit I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Ranger-Dual-Exhaust-w-Flowmaster-Super-44-Tips-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5314e0e6QQitemZ190372438246QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

wow thats a pretty good price. and u say it has good sound? what is ur power gains like?

I drive a '95 4.0. Gutted 1 of 2 cats and mandrel bent pipe exiting in front of the passenger rear tire. No mufflers. Sounds like a beast. I do what I can with what I got. Lol.

EDIT: $40 total price.

haha my bros silverado is done simalarly. idk if i really like that tho.

Totally different though. I'm not a fan of the Chevy truck tone.

id rather have anice clean sound then anything else. his truck sounds terrible so i ll keep my cats.

wow thats a pretty good price. and u say it has good sound? what is ur power gains like?

The sound is pretty decent. I can hear it (fairly loud) inside the cab when pulling out from a stop (such as at a stop sign or light) and it evens out once I hit ~40 MPH; at that point I can still hear it a little inside the cab. It seems to have given me a bit more power in the lower gears, nothing major; it is a V6 after all - only so much you can do with it in that sense.

Back