02 Eddie Bauer dreaded transmission question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Eddie Bauer dreaded transmission question

Mark Shryock

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer EB
All,
Thank you in advance for the assist.
I have an 02 Expy V6 with the usual transmission issues (P0775) (Replaced the valve module already) and have a question.
I am looking to swap out the unit with a used one but I am unsure from which vehicle to pull the replacement from. I have heard that several model years of Explorers/Mountaineers/Mustangs/Rangers will be a direct replacement.
I have also contemplated a repair using Ford Lincoln Mercury Explorer Mountaineer Navigator Servo Bore Fix

All,
Thank you in advance for the assist.
I have an 02 Expy V6 with the usual transmission issues (P0775) (Replaced the valve module already) and have a question.
I am looking to swap out the unit with a used one but I am unsure from which vehicle to pull the replacement from. I have heard that several model years of Explorers/Mountaineers/Mustangs/Rangers will be a direct replacement.
I have also contemplated a repair using Ford Lincoln Mercury Explorer Mountaineer Navigator Servo Bore Fix
Did you correct the pressure issue (P0775) with the new valve body?

Why are you considering swapping a used transmission for a used transmission? What else is wrong with yours?

What is prompting you to replace the servos?

Your post makes it sound like you are just throwing parts at it, is there more issues that you haven’t shared?

Did you correct the pressure issue (P0775) with the new valve body?

Why are you considering swapping a used transmission for a used transmission? What else is wrong with yours?

What is prompting you to replace the servos?

Your post makes it sound like you are just throwing parts at it, is there more issues that you haven’t shared?

The replacement of the valve body did not correct the problems. Also replaced the filter and fluid. Found a poor wire connection going to the Turbine Shaft Sensor, Re-crimped.
My issues are:
At cold, does not always engage in forward,
Anytime:
High RPM (4000+) shift from 1st to 2nd. Have to back off the throttle in order to shift.
At idle, occasionally feels like it slips in and out of gear. At idle, in drive, acts like the trans is engaged and RPM drops and occasionally stalls.
Reverse does not always engage, higher RPMs, (2000) than if feels like I dropped the clutch.
At freeway speeds, 85+-, hard shutter.
OD Light flashes after warm up. No OD light on (Usually) at start up.
OD usually not available.
I have read that the issue could be caused from: Bad Torque converter, leaky servos, rebuild tranny, Bad sensor(s). Bad ECM. Bad electrical connection at tranny.
I am not throwing pasts at this. I just cant justify a $3000 transmission rebuild on my $1100 vehicle. Just need to make the correct repairs for a long term reliable Expy.

Thank you everyone for the assist.
Mark

I had some of the same issues with my 03 4.0. Threw the servo bore fix at it with no luck. Looks to me like it's a broken OD band.

Starts out fine, wont shift into second, creative footwork on the throttle gets it to bypass second and go into third. After a little while the OD light comes on. So Ive lost 2nd and 5th completely. I'm just waiting for it to warm up to pull the transmission and rebuild it myself.

If you pull the pan and filter, you will be able to see the adjustment side of the OD band and place your finger or a screwdriver on it. Mine just flops back and forth about an inch or so, which tells me that the band is done for. The IM band is tight with no play at all. And Reverse is all the way back near the tail so it's not accessible.

Back