02 Explorer Sport door problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer Sport door problem

bradmullins

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x4
I have another question since I've found a bunch of explorer gurus, I need to ask.

On my drivers door I see that the hinges have been replaced fairly recently but the door doesn't close properly. It has no tension to hold itself open and every time I close it I have to slam it or it doesn't close completely just half way and it has a very loud thud when I do it.
I've checked the contact point and it's not hitting anywhere it shouldn't so it's probably at the right adjustment, I've greased the locking mechanism which didn't help anything either. And as I stated the door basically has no stopping points where tension will hold it open it swings back and forth freely. I've noticed doors always have at least two points where it will push into grooves and hold itself open on a steep grade but not this one. Any ideas?

Sounds like whoever did the higes didn't put the door detent back in. Have you got one on the other side or has that got new hinges too?

When the door finally shuts does it look like it's aligned properly?
If not, adjust the hinges.
If so, there's a rubber thing somewhere on the door catch that makes a huge difference to how the door shuts if it's not there.

I tried looking it up but I couldn't find it anywhere. Hopefully somebody who makes more sense will come along.

CHvVsE.jpg

gE88q2.jpg

o9jZv0.jpg

Heres a few pics if anyone notices anything out of whack let me know.

Back