Need help with 2001 Explorer Sport door handles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 2001 Explorer Sport door handles

Largephillip

Reaction score
City, State
Salem Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi I'm new to the forum in trying to figure out why after new interior and exterior door handles on my 01 sport that I am still having issues! The interior handle will not open the door and the exterior will open it, but only if you pull it from the right side (I followed the tutorial from 1A Auto on YouTube) not sure why it's not working. Any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

I had to lubricate the ever living crap out of my door latches to get them to kind of work. They were so rusted on my 96 that the doors wouldn't open inside or out. I had to climb in the back seat and while my buddy pulled on the outside handle, I threw my entire body weight against the door to get it to blow open. After that I used a combination of PB Blaster, Silicon spray and fluid film to get my latches to move more freely again. They still don't work 100% the way they should, but at least the doors can sort of open from the inside now.

I had to lubricate the ever living crap out of my door latches to get them to kind of work. They were so rusted on my 96 that the doors wouldn't open inside or out. I had to climb in the back seat and while my buddy pulled on the outside handle, I threw my entire body weight against the door to get it to blow open. After that I used a combination of PB Blaster, Silicon spray and fluid film to get my latches to move more freely again. They still don't work 100% the way they should, but at least the doors can sort of open from the inside now.

I feel like the latch is ok, I will however try that out. What I think the problem with the interior dorr handle maybe is that the bar that actually goes to the latch has somehow become bent, because I did not replace the doorhandle for quite sometime after it had broken we where just pushing that bar over to open the door on the inside.

Back