'02 Explorer Transmission issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer Transmission issue

I purchased this explorer with the tranny problem. I was told the truck only had first nothing no reverse or anything else, got there explorer only had 1st. So my plans was to install new tranny I have it out on the floor now. However I can only wonder if Im about to waste money, because I towed the truck 50 miles and when I got home pulled off trailer the truck had all gears shifts hard and O/D light blinking. Any Ideas of what could move around on this transmision.

Thanks for the help.
Tony

As long as you have it out, find a reputable 5R55 builder in your area and have them rebuild it for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a reman yesterday from auto parts store. I tried the name brand transmission place they wanted almost 3 grand with it out and 12 month warranty the small shop wanted 2 grand with it out but only offered 24,000 mile warranty. The auto part store 3 year 75,000.

Tony

No Start

Ok guys,

I got the trannyin , started up fine shut it down went over everything started back up let fluid get warm to check level shut down check for leaks.

Then I start and the starter keeps cranking so I pull battery wire to stop, I had starter check (ok) replaced ignition switch and noticed that I had two fuses blown, ignition number 12 and power number 7 I replaced and when i try to start number 12 keeps blowing. Now if if unplug neutral saftey switch and turn keys fuse doesn't blow.

I can use a little help. Any ideas

W the ###### just happened?

sounds like a lot of trouble and money. I replaced my servos with the o-ring kit w/ new servos. 10k miles later no problem.

sounds like a lot of trouble and money. I replaced my servos with the o-ring kit w/ new servos. 10k miles later no problem.

I would say that most people do not have the equipment and skill to change servos and o-ring kits. We are subject to whatever a transmission shop tells us what we need for repairs. Most shops will insist on a complete re build whether you need it or not. I do know of a shop that is fairly good, and honest, but I still like looking at these posts to get information on what kinds of questions to ask the shop.
One shop owner told me that he loves the 2002 Explorer because it's lots of work and money for him. Won't be going to him for service.

Back