• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer transmission issue

jester1614

Reaction score
City, State
Buckeye arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer v6 4wd
I recently came into a non running 02 explorer with a 5r55w transmission according to the door sticker. I got it running after replacing a few fuses, and have gotten a p0705 code. I have replaced the sensor and adjusted it, vehicle will only start in park and neutral and the reverse lights Turn on when I put it in reverse. Code is still there, is there a fuse that might be blown? I will be looking into the wiring harness at the transmission tomorrow. Vehicle has 180,000 miles.

Vehicle engages like normal in park requiring the brake to be applied to go into reverse, when reverse is selected it shifts harshly into reverse and backs the vehicle up without hesitation, disengages in neutral, drive free revs, when 3 is selected the vehicle will move forward decently at low speeds but slip if revved, 2 will basically free rev with slight nudges of the vehicle going forward, 1 will mirror 3 (moving vehicle but slip on revs).

thanks in advance for the help I am new to the explorer owners club but this ones a beauty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The code could be a electrical problem to the MLPS switch, a scanner with data stream can help find the issue here.

The tranny problem sounds like the low sprag is not holding, if this is the case the tranny needs to be replaced or rebuilt, if you rebuild it there is a good chance the low sprag race is bad in the bottom of the case, you might end up replacing the case.

Could this possibly be a convertor issue? I adjusted the bands, to no benefit. I am going to pull the pan tomorrow to check the fluid condition.

Drained some fluid out of the tranny the other day and it came out looking like pepsi/used oil. my debate right now is should I throw a few qts of clean fluid in it and see if it helps or just give up on that and pull it out and keep looking for a replacemnt/rebuilder

I think it will be a waste of fluid, make sure you flush the cooler before installing the new tranny.

If the fluid it's brown it's probably rebuild/replace time.

Its cooked, pull it and either rebuild it or replace it with a reman unit that has had ALL of the known problems addressed.

When you say the "vehicle will only start in Park and Neutral" you do know thats how its supposed to be right? Any Auto I've ever seen will not start in any position other than neutral or park.

Its cooked, pull it and either rebuild it or replace it with a reman unit that has had ALL of the known problems addressed.

When you say the "vehicle will only start in Park and Neutral" you do know thats how its supposed to be right? Any Auto I've ever seen will not start in any position other than neutral or park.

I do know that it should only start in Park and Neutral, I was stating it as that is one of the questions I have run across when researching my PRNDL switch (to see if it is aligned) issue which I will be looking into more after I pull the Transmission over the next few days.

My plan as of now is to pull a junkyard transmission if i can find one in decent shape, and then purchasing the parts to rebuild the current one with the upgrades by somebody local. within the next few days I will be searching local junkyards to see if I can find one with among other things good looking fluid.

Back