02 explorer won't start/idle when icly out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer won't start/idle when icly out?

mab631

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 2002 ED
Hey guys you might not know but before i had to get a new EGR Valve and sensor for the EGR. Everything worked fine for about 2 weeks. Yesterday in NY it was about 15F where i live. Truck started right up worked great. Today it was about 13F but with ice on it. So this is leading me to understand that the truck works fine in the cold but when there is ice or something in the engine gets wet it does not want to stay started/idle. Because until i keep my foot on the gas to make it stay idle a little under 1rpm and then drive it to my job. Well i just went to lunch and the truck started up ok but worked fine. So what would i look into or replace? I myself think it is some kindof wire that is not fully plugged in/shielded correctly. But i am by no means a expert

Truck is a 02 4.6 V8 explorer 4x4 EB

There are several items that participate in the monitoring and adjusting of air into the throttle body. Any one of those can be at fault here, either need replacing. cleaning, or perhaps even have a wire that fell off.

- Mass airflow sensor - Tells the computer (ECU) the mass of air entering the engine

- Oxygen sensor(s) - Monitors the amount of oxygen in the exhaust so the ECU can determine how rich or lean the fuel mixture is and make adjustments accordingly

- Throttle position sensor - Monitors the throttle valve position (which determines how much air goes into the engine) so the ECU can respond quickly to changes, increasing or decreasing the fuel rate as necessary

- Coolant temperature sensor - Allows the ECU to determine when the engine has reached its proper operating temperature - this is the one I'd look at first.

even though i am not getting any codes or my check engine light is not on it could still be a sensor?

Back