• Register Today It's free!

02 mountaineer 4.0l tranny swap

guitarfrk741

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4.0
ok i have a 02 mountaineer w/ a 4.0 l v6 2wd...

i would really like to have 4wd...

i was loking at this site and they sell a 4.0l 02 v6 4wd replacement tranny and i was wondering if itd be as easy as swapping out the transmissions...

id have the $$ for the tranny and for someone to do the swap...its just a matter of will it work or not

(heres the site..http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213787&chapter=DP2170&appSectionid=15&groupid=61951&make=23&model=Mountaineer&year=2002&catalogid=1

The only difference in the trans is the output shaft is shorter and the extension housing to connect the transfer case is quite a bit different. BUT... that is not your biggest problem in attempting to do what you envision...the major stuff is the transfer case, front driveshaft, front differential and stub shafts to the front wheels to drive them and of course a shorter rear driveshaft. Of course then there is the electronics to operate the T case, etc etc... In other words, MAJOR changeover of an entire drivetrain. Not worth it. Buy a 4WD Explorer if you want one, but simply swapping a 4WD ready tranny is the least of your worries in a swap out.

ahhh yah i was afraid it wouldnt be that easy

alright thx anyway then

Back