02 Radiator removal help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Radiator removal help

mnmbarna

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0 V6
I have a radiator that I'm trying to replace this weekend. I saw a pretty good video on YouTube that had the same vehicle as mine on how to replace the radiator. The guy on the video said to remove the air deflectors between the radiator and the transmission cooler, and there's 2 8mm bolts on each side to take out, and the radiator will be able to come out. The thing is, he didn't show the actual process of getting down in there to get those bolts out. Just a before and after shot. I was running out of time, so I just put everything back together. I'll have to try again some other time.

Anyone else ever replaced theirs? Does the transmission cooler have to come out with it?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a very involved job. The easiest way is to take the radiator and cooler out together.

I did mine, by removing the front bumper, the headlights and header panel (piece headlights mount to.). This gave me access to four holes that led to the cooler to radiator mounting bolts. It was still a PITA and it came apart easier than it went back together.

I would say, that you would need to be very intuitive to do this job. Otherwise have the shop do it.

Thanks guys. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Took another look at it today to see if I could get just the radiator out, but it looks like the radiator, trans cooler, and ac condenser all have to come out. The procedure from Ford doesn't look very clear to me, then again, I'm no mechanic. Looks like all three parts are all bolted together as one unit. If I disconnect all the lines and hoses, shouldn't the whole assembly just come out? Then I can take it apart on my work bench.

Time to work on anything is an issue for me, as I'm gone 4 days a week over the road trucking. Just trying to evaluate doing it myself or have a shop do it. I already have the new radiator so it should just be labor costs.

If you don't mind paying labor, you'll save yourself a headache.

Condenser goes in and out independently from the radiator.

Back