02 Sport 4.0l PCV problem - won't lock in valve cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport 4.0l PCV problem - won't lock in valve cover

jgardneroh

Reaction score
City, State
Maumee, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
I have an issue where the pcv valve won't 'lock' into the valve cover on an 02 Sport 4.0 SOHC. I've felt in the valve cover, and it does not appear that there are 'nibs' for the pcv valve to twist lock into.

Is there a grommet that has come out? It does not seem likely, since there's barely enough room for the pcv valve to fit in the valve cover hole.

Assuming the nibs broke off, any suggestions on how to repair this? I can't seem to get a grommet to fit in the opening and fit to the pcv valve. Would rtv work? I'm assuming not, since the valve cover is plastic (and, I can't figure out how to apply force to the pcv valve to keep it tight to the valve cover). Should I disconnect it and replace it with some sort of breather?

I'm experiencing rough idle and poor mileage as a result of this....Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you do to fix this? I have the exact same problem. Thanks

The right way would have been to replace the valve cover. But, I didn't want to do that, so I jury rigged a 'spreader' type clamp to put pressure on the pcv valve to hold it in place (the other side of the 'clamp' presses against the dash panel). It's not pretty, but it's worked for a year....

Thanks for the reply..........that is what I was afraid of. Everything that I have seen/read has led me to believe I need to replace the valve cover. I was hoping I was misinformed and there was possibly some kind of grommet in the VC that fell out or something (one that accepts the PCV). My next thought was, like you, to rig something together. However, this is not my car (doing this for a friend), so I feel obligated to do the job correctly. As such, I think I should replace the VC, which means I need to remove the whole intake manifold :thumbdwn: Just curious, what would the new VC have to keep the PVC valve in??? Some kind of tab or thread or something?

Thanks.......I'll let you know how the VC replacement goes.

Good luck....The valve cover is a glass filled nylon part, so there's a 'nib' molded in that is the keyway for the pcv valve. It probably made a lot of sense originally (eliminate a part), but it's obvious the nib is not durable enough over time, especially if you remove the valve for service/replacement.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the clarification..........I now understand what is missing (nib). I figured that there needed to be something for the PCV valve to "marry" to on the valve cover. ;) I was just hoping it was a gromet and not actually something fixed (supposedly) on the VC.

I searched and found this thread. I was thinking of replacing the PCV valve in my newly acquired Sport 02. I have not located it but it appears that trying to RE & RE it may be bad news. I am not quite sure what this issue is. I gather that it is NOT a typical metal or plastic base with the valve going into a gromet hole snuggly. Once remove will I be SOL? Anyone take a photo of it. Is there a special proceedure? Aftermarket valve of Ford original used above?

Thanks

The pcv valve is on the 'back' of the lh valve cover (against the dash panel). It's a 'custom' pcv valve, in that it has a 'thread' at the base that threads into a couple of nibs molded into the valve cover. (additionally, it has a pipe that wraps around that valve through which coolant flows).

I would guess if you're careful when removing/installing, you'll have no issues.

I believe I got an aftermarket valve mailorder.....

I have this issue on my 01, I was thinking of using spritzing the area with carb cleaner and using RTV to hold the PCV in place? Thoughts?

^ RTV is still holding up and sealing well for me. Make sure to use oil resistant type such as Permatex Ultra Black. Trickiest part was securing the PCV valve tight on the cover. IIRC, I used a wedge type object against the firewall to hold it overnight.

PCV Valve

Back