• Register Today It's free!

PCV Valve = Hassel?

Slick Rick

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL Sport
How hard is it to take out an old PCV valve? How easy is it to install a new one? I realize that it is a tight fit both to work around with and to actually insert the PCV valve in to the valve head cover. Is it going to give me grief? Should I just get a mechanic to do it 4 me?

Also, should I get a new PCV valve gasket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Takes me on average about 30 seconds. It will, at most, take you a couple of minutes. Just pull the old one, disconnect from the vacuum line, pop the new one in and attach the vacuum line. the PCV just sticks into a rubber grommet in the valve cover.

i've heard that on the SOHC engine that it can be a pain. this is because the connection to the pcv comes to a T and the fitting on top of the stock pcv with the T connector must be reused, and some people have had problems removing the T part from the stock pcv with out breaking it. so if you have the SOHC be careful when doing this.

does anyone have a detailed picture of where the pcv valve is located on a '97 5.0. I have my Haynes manual and read all of the posts that I can find here and I still can't find the damn thing. I know that it is behind the intake manifold, but where?
Thanks

I've got a 97 5.0 also and wanted to replace my PCV valve. After many fruitless attempts to locate the thing, I took it in to the Ford dealer. The mechanic said not to worry about it. If the car was running OK, there was no need to replace it. It's a PITA to get to. If you have less than 60K on your X, I think the dealership will change it at no cost. Check with them.

r.s.

Don't know what engine you have

But, many parts stores sell universal PCV valves that have an extra port you have to block off. These are a pain to install unless you pull off this adaptor piece. Then it will mount the same as the factory one.

for you 5.0 guys...

for 5.0 location, do a search for "pcv valve location 5.0" I had this prob last month and Tas98xlt helped w/ pics and everything. You will see when you search out the above heading. good luck.

Back