leegaddis32

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
What rear ends are interchangeable with the 02 sport trac

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to change the complete rear diff assembly (including the housing) in my late production '01 ST last summer. As far as I know the '02 is the same as the '01. I found any Gen II Explorer or Mountaineer is a direct bolt in. I just swapped the brake parts over as the ST has drums and all the Explorers have disk brakes and remove the 5th shock mounting bracket.

Just make sure to get the same gear ratio (especially if your ST is a 4x4).

I had to change the complete rear diff assembly (including the housing) in my late production '01 ST last summer. As far as I know the '02 is the same as the '01. I found any Gen II Explorer or Mountaineer is a direct bolt in. I just swapped the brake parts over as the ST has drums and all the Explorers have disk brakes.

Just make sure to get the same gear ratio (especially if your ST is a 4x4).
It's 4x4. How do I go about finding out the gear ratio. Left rear tire slides in and out about an inch and they want about 1300 to rebuild the rear end. Thought maybe just swapping it would be cheaper if I can find one

It's 4x4. How do I go about finding out the gear ratio. Left rear tire slides in and out about an inch and they want about 1300 to rebuild the rear end. Thought maybe just swapping it would be cheaper if I can find one

There's a sticker on the driver's door jam. It will have an axle code (like D4) which indicates a 3:73 LSD ratio). Mine was a 4:10 LSD. You can Google what the various codes mean. I bought a used 4:10 open diff out of an Explorer at a local salvage yard for $300 with a 30 day warranty. I removed the cover to inspect the internals (it looked like new inside) pulled the axles to swap the brake backing plates and refilled it with 3 qts of Full Synthetic 75W140 gear oil. It's been working perfectly ever since. A rebuild would have been much more expensive and my axles were worn out too.

You can also use Ford's ETIS website to find out what optional equipment your truck was built with. You just need your VIN. Lastly there's a metal tag on one of the diff cover bolts that tells the gear ratio.

There's a sticker on the driver's door jam. It will have an axle code (like D4) which indicates a 3:73 LSD ratio). Mine was a 4:10 LSD. You can Google what the various codes mean. I bought a used 4:10 open diff out of an Explorer at a local salvage yard for $300 with a 30 day warranty. I removed the cover to inspect the internals (it looked like new inside) pulled the axles to swap the brake backing plates and refilled it with 3 qts of Full Synthetic 75W140 gear oil. It's been working perfectly ever since. A rebuild would have been much more expensive and my axles were worn out too.

You can also use Ford's ETIS website to find out what optional equipment your truck was built with. You just need your VIN. Lastly there's a metal tag on one of the diff cover bolts that tells the gear ratio.
Awesome thanks

Back