• Register Today It's free!

02 sport trac rear end

Boosted97stang

Reaction score
City, State
Lorain ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport trac
The rear end is taking a crap on my 02 explorer sport trac. It has a 8.8 I believe with a 3.73 ratio. Is there a year and make of other trucks that are a direct bolt on . I can't find a sport trac at the salvage yard. Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly is it doing that you're wanting to replace the whole thing?

Any 4 door '95-'01 Explorer/Mountaineer (and maybe the 2 doors) rear diff with the same gear ratio is a direct bolt in. I installed one out of an '00 Explorer in my '01 ST. Only difference is that the Explorers had rear disc brakes where I believe the ST still had drums until '03. I just swapped the discs for my drums. I didn't even disconnect the brake lines during the swap. I just hung the backing plates up out of my way with close line.

Don't use a Ranger rear diff. They're only 28 spline.

115_0066_zpsmnva5xct.jpg

115_0065_zpscv3gtpml.jpg

115_0074_zpszfarhwch.jpg

I was told my spider gears and clutch pack were shot . I guess mine has 4.10. Just talked to the guy

Did the person that told you this actually look inside to confirm those parts are bad?

From your description you'd only need a trac-lok rebuild kit, not a whole rearend. While it's not unheard of that spider gears break it takes a lot to break them no matter how many miles are on them. If they are not cracked or chipped leave the spider gears alone and just get the differential rebuilt with a fresh clutch pack. They are all over Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop... 31&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Back