'02 towing upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 towing upgrade

I have an '02 X with a 4.0 and 3.55's. I tow a open trailer rated for 5k but I never load it up that much because the X is only rated to 3300 pounds. Is there anything I can do to make it safe to tow that much weight besides just the hitch? Gears? tranny cooler?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford sells the Class 3 hitch + oil cooler + 7-way wiring harness as a kit as an upgrade kit for the Class 2 configured Exs (3,55 gears). Seems Ford anticipated this upgrade.

But according to the manual 3,73 gears are required for towing capacity above app. 3200 lbs. You have to decide how comfortable you are straining the drivetrain with the extra weight, but changing the gearing is big bucks - probably better to trade up to the correct gearing or finding scrapyard parts/prices.

I tow more than 3500 lbs occasionally with the 3,55 gears. Turn the O/D off and keep the RPM's up and avoid big hills and high heat. Extra tranny cooler has also been recommended by several members. Weight distributing hitch helps the towing a lot but you will definitely feel the weight.

JC

get the 3.73's or the 4.10's I love my 4.10's and I tow about 5K routinely with a large tandem axle popup camper. My truck does quite well over just about any hill here in the east.

I would also say that you should add the shift kit and the tranny cooler and the external filter. Oh and I would not tow anything with out a temp gauge on my tranny. for about 50 bucks you can save yourself thousands in burnt up transmission parts.

Towing-upgrade from class II

Ford sells the Class 3 hitch + oil cooler + 7-way wiring harness as a kit as an upgrade kit for the Class 2 configured Exs (3,55 gears). Seems Ford anticipated this upgrade.JC

Does anyone know what the parts numbers are for the upgrade items?
Bill W

2L2Z-19D520-AA and -BA. According to the dealer, -AA is only the Class 3 hitch, -BA includes hitch plus oil cooler and 7-way harness.

JC

Back