• Register Today It's free!

02 v8 hard starting

Sentry6

Reaction score
City, State
Norton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 3.5 Limited
Hi, i have a 2002 4.6 explorer, first thing in the morning it starts perfectly everytime, i drive all day and make 10 or so stops, everytime i restart it takes a good 5-7sec cranking to start.. i have changed the fuel filter (pia) . and checked for any codes. have also changed the fuel cap. also interesting enough if i stop for gas and fill up, 80% of the time will start fine.. possible fuel pump? strange it starts fine cold.

Thanks ahead of time for any tips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, i have a 2002 4.6 explorer, first thing in the morning it starts perfectly everytime, i drive all day and make 10 or so stops, everytime i restart it takes a good 5-7sec cranking to start.. i have changed the fuel filter (pia) . and checked for any codes. have also changed the fuel cap. also interesting enough if i stop for gas and fill up, 80% of the time will start fine.. possible fuel pump? strange it starts fine cold.

Thanks ahead of time for any tips.

Next time you are preparing for a hot-start, try this: Turn key to "Ignition On', (all icons light up on dash), wait 3 or 4 seconds, then turn to "Off". Do this 3 or 4 times BEFORE attempting to crank the engine. If it starts then without the usual long cranking-time, check back in here. I'll blab more then. imp

Hi, cycling the key doesnt seem to work, what does work is if i crank for 3 seconds stop, then recrank it starts instantly...

Anyone have any thoughts? Might change out the fuel pump but the symptoms don't seem to point to a fuel pump

Nevermind, I re-read your post and realized that what I replied with was not your problem.

Back