'02 XLT 4WD problems, need help! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 XLT 4WD problems, need help!

i was having the same issue and i end up replaceing the while transfercaser i found a used one for 350.00 and had ut put in for a 100.00....mine got stuck half way between 4low and 2 wheel and the front end would hope and i was having all kinds of issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the same boat as Big Rondo. I pulled the shift motor off & see that the 3rd gen explorers have a sealed switch so ya really can clean them like my '94. Had problems with that once, but cleaning the switch fixed it. This thing had traction control light with 4x4 lights flashing so I'm not sure if it's a 4x4 problem or a problem related to ABS or sensors. A used 4x4 module is around $200 to be a correct replacement. Not sure what models can replace a 2c54-7h473-ae.

I'm in the same boat as Big Rondo. I pulled the shift motor off & see that the 3rd gen explorers have a sealed switch so ya really can clean them like my '94. Had problems with that once, but cleaning the switch fixed it. This thing had traction control light with 4x4 lights flashing so I'm not sure if it's a 4x4 problem or a problem related to ABS or sensors. A used 4x4 module is around $200 to be a correct replacement. Not sure what models can replace a 2c54-7h473-ae.

I already replaced my 4x4 Control Module. Have you replaced yours? I have an extra one that I got from ebay for less than $50. I took a shot but it was the wrong model. I will have to dig it out and get the model number. If you need it you can have it for shipping costs. I'll let you know. I got a new one from Silverstatefordparts.com for under $200.00. How bad was it to get to the shift motor?

Edit: Found the info for the ebay module in post #18

Here's the info on the module I received from ebay.
2C54-7H417-CA
Motorola Model: 2MU231VC05
Date Code: 01355
Serial #: 21689323

I am considering two options. 1 shot gun a 4x4CM from e-bay & hope to get lucky. I am told a used one is $200 from used parts store.

Pulling the motor is no big deal. To bench check it it is easier to get it up out of the truck, si you will either have to remove the two driveshaft sensors from the transfer case (I did this as I could also see if there was any debris on sensors), or just de-pin it from the connector it shares with the sensors. I only de-pinned the brown wire to connector that I believe goes to the magnetic clucth which controls the front driveshaft engagement. To de-pin, you seperate the connector, then on the motor end of connector use needle nose pliers and remove the "wedge" from the face of connector. I believe it's red. This allows you to bend over the tab for each individual pin so it can be extracted. The wedge keeps the tabs pushed towards the pic so they don't easily pull out. Everything else for the motor is just a few bolts to remove after removing the shield (also a few bolts).

I found that CM IL24-7H473-AD has been superceeded with CM IL2Z-7E453-AH and it is currently going for around $190 on eBay. A bit more than the other CM in this thread for my '02 EB Explorer, of course. But, it should work.

But, I'm having a problem with a fuse popping - the 20A under the hood, number 17. Number 18 is OK, the other 20A. I checked the 3 others on the inside fuse panel, all 5A, numbers 12, 15 and 29. These all said in the manual that they were associated with 4x4 module in some way (unspecified). Any ideas what might cause fuse 17 to pop? I don't want to buy a CM if that isn't going to solve the fuse problem, too.

The way my system behaves, with the blown fuse, is that when the key is on, the 4x4 high light lights and remains lit. But when the key is turned to the start position, both the 4x4 high and the 4x4 low lights come on and stay on after most others go out by a few seconds, and then go out, also. I hear clicking in the CM when I push 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High. But, it doesn't really go into 4x4 at all. When I try to go into 4x4 low, the light on the switch flashes, but it doesn't click or try to do anything and after a little while just stops flashing.

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully, someone will be watching and have an idea what the problem is that I'm experiencing. Is it just the module, or is there something else that needs to be fixed before trying the CM. Can it be blowing the fuse?

Thanks,
ScubaDave

You need a good wiring diagram to see what fuse 17 powers. Then trace your short circuit.

If you look at my history I have been working this problem for over a year, and it keeps coming back. When a new snap on $10,000 scanner wouldn't even link to my '02 I decided to shotgun a 4x4 controller for $200 from silverstate (directfordparts.com). I installed it yesterday & made 6 trips with no problems at all. Batt disconnected before pluggung new one in. Old PN 2C54-7H473-AE. New PN is 2C52-7E453-AF. The relay(s) built into the board may be at fault. I sure hope this works out. If there are any further problems I will add to this thread.

Regarding the blown fuse #17 problem posted...I'll check my wiring manual and let you know what it runs to. May be just a chafed wire somewhere. The 4x4 control module can be disassembled so you can see the board inside.

Fuse 17 goes directly from batt junction box 16 awg to pin 2, wire color WH, of the four wheel drive module (A255) on connector 281A (of the 4x4 controller). It does not appear to go to any other modules, but does go thru two other connectors (C263, & C211) before heading to the 4x4 module. It is considered circuit 994 of the vehicle. Not sure if this is the black or grey connector, but can tell that pin 2 of 281B (the opposite your connector) is ground using a BK/LB wire. Circuit 994 at connector c263 it is also a white wire and is pin 9. c263 is under dash panel drivers side and appears to be a firewall connector. At connecotr C211 it is pin 11 (still a wt wire). C211 is located behind dash panel, center. ( picture of this connector shows it "behind instrument cluster, RH side").
Hope this helps. If it were me, I would pull the fuse 17 & disconnect both 4x4 connectors, find the one that pin 2 is a white wire. Then check to see if it's going to ground. This is a good place to start.

BTW scuba Dave... this discription is from my 2002 wiring diagrams manual. I own a 2002 Limited V8. Just so U know that it should pertain to your truck. Seems that the person who owned this manual before I bought it had issues with this too, as a lot of the 4x4 stuff is marked up in pencil:) Kind of lets you know others feel your pain working this system.

Many thanks

You've given me a lot to track down. I'm working long hours right now, but will try to check out your thoughts in my machine soon.

Thanks,

ScubaDave

Just trying to help out. If any questions I can answer, just ask.

Sidetracked!

I took out the 4x4 control module and haven't had the problem since. May not really be a connection, but ...

Also, my RH rear whell bearing went a week or so ago. Gave me a real start when the vehicle started doing a rhumba going down the road! I've had to take it off the road while I get that cared for. I have the knuckles ready to remove (all loosened and freed up) but haven't been able to get enough time to actually get them off and the new bearings and hubs pressed in. Decided to do both at once. With 200k miles, figured the other would soon follow if I didn't.

Then I'll get back to my posted problem here. I did find there were now shorts in the actual wires that I could detect.

Thanks,
ScubaDave

Good luck. Also, yea it certainly is s good idea to replace both bearing with that amount of mileage.

need help, installed new factory 4x4 module . now i get 4low light on and blows brake light fuse. any ideas greatly welcomed. thanks

need help, installed new factory 4x4 module . now i get 4low light on and blows brake light fuse. any ideas greatly welcomed. thanks

Welcome to the forum! :salute:

Where did you get the module from? Did you give them your VIN so you get the correct module? My guess is that it's the wrong module. Check posts #21 - #29 in this thread!!

Hi, got the module from ford dealer. They tell me it is the right one. I was wondering how I could check the module or where I could get a wiring diagram.

Hi, got the module from ford dealer. They tell me it is the right one. I was wondering how I could check the module or where I could get a wiring diagram.

OK, when I installed the wrong part it blew my brake light fuse. Are you sure that you have the connectors plugged into the correct spot?

The module has a black port and a grey port, so all you have to do is connect the same colour connections

The module has a black port and a grey port, so all you have to do is connect the same colour connections

Right, just checking. Did you disconnect the neg terminal on the battery before you started?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I did not. Should I.

Back