03 Explorer Loud rearend | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer Loud rearend

Geologist

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer EB
After buying my 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer, I fell in love with these trucks. Unfortunately, someone rearednded my '02 a couple weeks back, and their insurance company decided to total loss it. As we all know, you never get enough from insurance companies to truly get a suitable replacement. I threw in an extra thousand dollars, and still had to settle for an '03 Eddie Bauer that had not been as well maintained, and is missing all the ammenities like 3rd row seating, rear AC controlls, and so on.

I had to travel about eleven hundred miles to get the new truck, and on the drive home it became painfully clear how inferior this vehichle is to my last one. Most noticeably, the rearend is so loud at 50mph you cant have a conversation in the front seats without raising your voice. My '02 was whisper quiet even at 80+mph.

My question is: was the '02 quieter because the 3rd row seating acted as a sound barrier? Or is the '03 rearend just super loud? Or is there just something wrong with this rearend?

My '02 had about 60k more miles than this truck does, and it was a dream to drive for the past 5 years. This truck is a nightmare to drive in comparrison. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one? I read the TSB posted in the technical section, but there was no info as to the third row seating being a sound dampner.
After all the money I have into this thing, I cant afford another $1100 to fix the rearend for another year or so, especially if it doesn't need to be done...

Probably bad bearings in there. Any kind of noise that the diff makes just gets transmitted thru the mounting points and the underbody paneling...and the rear cargo area is like an echo chamber so noises back there are amplified.

If you're mechanically inclined and can do without the vehicle for a few days you can drop the diff out yourself and take it somewhere to have it rebuilt. A good master rebuild kit with timkin bearings is 200 or less. Figure another 300 for the rebuild. Then you just need to reinstall and you're good to go. You can save a lot on the labor that way. Just find a good shop that does a lot of gears and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply, Ronin. I was starting to wonder if anyone had a clue.
I was hoping there would be an option that included Timkin, faithful bearings in my experience.
Yes, I am more than capable of pulling the pumpkin out, that kind of work is old hat for me.
Guess I will have to wait until this term is over, as college doesn't go well for a couple of days without transportation. Hopefully I will be rich enough to afford those kinds of expenses by then as well.

Like Ronin. my vote is for the rear end just being loud, as on 90% of these vehicles over time. My '02 (with 3rd row seat) was as loud as you describe. I replaced the diff fluid (non LSD) with the recommended, higher viscosity replacement oil and Lucas diff additive. The noise level is about a third of what it used to be....which is livable but still noticeable.

As a side note: I redid the rear wheel bearings a couple years ago and they were louder than the originals right off the bat. This also contributes to the orchestra of noise from the rear.

Good point I didn't even think of rear wheel bearings as a possible cause.

So far I have been lucky with both the rear diff and the rear wheel bearings...both have been quiet.

Like Ronin. my vote is for the rear end just being loud, as on 90% of these vehicles over time. My '02 (with 3rd row seat) was as loud as you describe. I replaced the diff fluid (non LSD) with the recommended, higher viscosity replacement oil and Lucas diff additive. The noise level is about a third of what it used to be....which is livable but still noticeable.

As a side note: I redid the rear wheel bearings a couple years ago and they were louder than the originals right off the bat. This also contributes to the orchestra of noise from the rear.

Guaranteed the noise is coming from one or both of the rear wheel bearings. TO be sure, jack up the rear end, put a jack stand under the axle housing and grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Push in on one side and pull on the other, back and forth. If there is any movement, i would suspect the bearing is bad. I just replaced the passenger side on my '03 XLT and the jet engine whine is 90% gone. I fear the driver side is going now because I noticed there was a little play during the "wheel test".

Thanks for the tip, tmaher. I noticed yesterday that from the rear, the tires look like they are cantered in at the tops and out at the bottoms, so I believe the bearings are probably shot.

When I had to replace the rear wheel bearings on my '02, it was right after I did all four rotors and pads. The noises the bearings were making were almost like a metel to metal pad, but having just replaced them I put my truck on a lift and spotted the bad bearings almost immediatley on that truck.

This trucks noise is like a low grumbling howl that never ends until completey stopped, so different from the noises the '02 was making I didn't see a connection.

After doing the rear wheel bearings on my '02, I am familiar with how unpleasant the job can be, took me six hours to do both sides, but at that time I had a nice shop to work in with a lift. Now it will be in a parking lot with jackstands.

I also don't have a press at my disposal anymore, did someone say that Napa might do the press work for a fee?

Thanks again.

Back