03 Explorer runs rough with 68K miles. HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer runs rough with 68K miles. HELP!!!

jenior71

Reaction score
City, State
whittier, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hi everyone..I am having problems with my wifes 03 explorer XLT 4.0 ..A few days ago she started the truck and it was running really rough. so she shut it off and took my car.. I test drove it and it did feel rough like if it had a bad spark plug wire. The truck has 68K miles and up to this point we never had a problem with the engine. I did replace the spark plugs with Bosch platinums at 50K miles. ran good till now. So any how. there was no check engine light on. so i thouht maybe the plug wires were bad.. The dealer was out of stock so installed a after market set ( Bosch ) .. It ran a little better but still has a miss..even if your cruising on the road you can feel the miss.. if you" floor it " truck still has power.. so then i replaced the fuel filter.. old one was plugged..truck ran a little better but still has that miss at idle and while driving..now the check engine light on..i sprayed the intake, injectors, all hoses with carb cleaner looking for a leak..nothing..so now i tried to add a injector/valve cleaner in gas tank and trying to drive problem out..any suggestions...?? :rolleyes: I need help. want my car back..;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Ok. hi all..i was able to check the codes and it came up as a #4 cylinder missfire..i already new it was a missfire but know at least i knew from what cylinder. I purchased one spark plug and installed it on #4..guess what..problem gone..I cannot believe that I only got 18K miles from these plugs..anyhow i am going to install Motorcraft plugs and all parts from now on..

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Autolite plugs are the same as the Motorcraft plugs. Several people on this site have posted similar issues after using Bosch plugs. Could you post a picture of the defective plug? Was the gap out of spec?

Hi, ok thanks..really , didnt know there was a problem with these plugs.. Ive used them before in other vehicles and never had a problem until now...I wonder what kind of warraty Bosch gives on there plugs?? oh i will look into the autolite plugs..thanks jess

sorry unable to upload pic

OK, lets see if it works....defective Bosch plugs..dont buy this junk.!!!

sS.NMHC

thats what it looks like but thats the way these bosch platinums look..

Back