• Register Today It's free!

03 ford ranger speed

03RangerEDGE

Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 ranger edge
i just recently bought an 03 ranger Edge and hit the highway last weekend and noticed when i got to 90 mph it kinda stuttered and didnt want to go any faster and just kinda bogged down when i kept giving gas...needless to say i stayed under 85 the rest of my trip..just curious if anyone else had this problem..
also i went past one of those stationary speed traps and noticed my truck was about 4-5 mph slower than what my speedometer was reading...why would that be?????

thanks
Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

03RangerEDGE said:
i just recently bought an 03 ranger Edge and hit the highway last weekend and noticed when i got to 90 mph it kinda stuttered and didnt want to go any faster and just kinda bogged down when i kept giving gas...needless to say i stayed under 85 the rest of my trip..just curious if anyone else had this problem..
also i went past one of those stationary speed traps and noticed my truck was about 4-5 mph slower than what my speedometer was reading...why would that be?????

thanks
Ron
speed limiter. is normal

03RangerEDGE said:
The previous owner might have put on tires that are slightly smaller than what can stock.

Welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

1. Spindle is correct, its a limiter, can be very easily removed and added to a switch. My friend did it to his Mazda B.

2. I'm not sure about everywhere, but here in Florida, all of those "Radar Trailors" are all 3 Mph lower, even radar guns are. Its like a service factor... Could be the tire thing to.

Jonny813 said:
1. Spindle is correct, its a limiter, can be very easily removed and added to a switch. My friend did it to his Mazda B.

2. I'm not sure about everywhere, but here in Florida, all of those "Radar Trailors" are all 3 Mph lower, even radar guns are. Its like a service factor... Could be the tire thing to.
813, how to remove the limiter with a switch, any info?

yeah you switch off the signal from the speed sensor to the computer when you get up that high :) hahaha

just a guess and a bad idea if thats true....

Certainly a bad idea, unless the wheels and tires are rated for more than 92 MPH. There's no point in trying to drive faster than your tires are rated.... I don't want to read about ablowout at 100+ in a Ranger!!

-Joe

Wouldn't cutting the VSS wire result in no ABS? If the truck thinks itz not moving then the ABS won't work right? Just thinking out loud here.

I *think* the ABS runes off its own set of sensors.... tone rings in the rear end and both front hubs.

-Joe

Bottom line is, you cannot switch the limiter on and off, most on this thread know that

shadyluke said:
Wouldn't cutting the VSS wire result in no ABS? If the truck thinks itz not moving then the ABS won't work right? Just thinking out loud here.
ive heard this before too but really dont know much about it. im also thinking out loud here. :p :confused:

You CAN switch the limiter on and off. My friend is a Ford Tech and he DID rig it up to just an on/off switch. I don't know exactly what he did, but I've seen in first hand on the interstate, on he couldn't get past 95. Flipped the switch and could. He has a 98 Mazda B 3.0.

Yes you can switch it on and off. You'll find the inforamtion on a different forum.

Back