03 Mountaineer 6 cyl AWD - Transmission Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Mountaineer 6 cyl AWD - Transmission Question

lechip

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I currently have a 99 XLT V8 AWD and I'm thinking about trading it on an 03 Mounty 6 cyl (flex fuel) AWD.
The consensus on the Explorers seems to be that the V8's have better transmissions than the V6's. Does anybody know if this is the case on the 03 Mounties?

Somebody correct me if i am wrong, but I thought that I read that the 2002 > Explorers uses the same transmission regardless of engine.

With that being said, it seems that the V8 has fewer issues than the V6(see posts regarding the V6 timing chains cassettes).

I am perfectly happy with the power from my V6. Although the V8 has more HP and gets about the same MPG.

jlinskey said:
Somebody correct me if i am wrong, but I thought that I read that the 2002 > Explorers uses the same transmission regardless of engine.

With that being said, it seems that the V8 has fewer issues than the V6(see posts regarding the V6 timing chains cassettes).

I am perfectly happy with the power from my V6. Although the V8 has more HP and gets about the same MPG.

Absolutely!
I drove a V6 Mounty yesterday and it was surprisingly quick.

Back