Getting an 03/04 EB Explorer to replace my 98 Mounty. Have questions, need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting an 03/04 EB Explorer to replace my 98 Mounty. Have questions, need advice

BrianV

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mounty 5.0L
Ok so I bought a 98 beater Mountaineer and it's been GREAT. It's our third car and is just used for moving people and going to Home Depot. It's been ultra-reliable and rugged. However, we want to go down to two cars. We're going to keep our Nissan Z Roadster and get rid of my g/f's Camry and the Mounty for a newer, more luxurious SUV that we can drive everyday.

Originally I was going to get an 04ish Navigator, but after seeing and driving an 03 Explorer this weekend I think we'll stick with it.

I'm fairly convinced I want the V8 AWD Eddie Bauer with 3 row seating. I have a bunch of questions:

1) Is the V8 AWD only or is it 2wd with 4wd mode? Is it offered in both AWD or 4wd or just one of them.
2) The V8 was buttery smooth and the 4.6L is a proven Ford powerplant. What do you guys think about this? I'm more confident in the longevity of the V8. Much like the 2nd generation V8 being more durable than the V6. Is the V8's transmission better than the V6s?
3) I noticed that many Explorer's tow bars use the smaller tow receiver, but some have the larger, more standard 2.0" receiver. I have a bike rack that needs a 2.0" receiver.
4) It seems that sunroofs are very hard to find in EB models, why is this?
5) Are heated and/or air conditioned seats an option on EBs?
6) What does the Limited offer that the EB doesn't? I prefer the way the EBs look but there was a limited we looked at this weekend and couldn't really see what was different.
7) What stereo options were available on the EB? They all seem to have the same CD6 headunit. Is this setup a premium sound system? My mom used to have a 91 EB and it had a nice JBL system. My 98 Mounty's stock system isn't very good.
8) Are there any issues I should look out for on 03/04 Explorers with 20-50k miles on them?

Thanks a lot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '03 EB with 4.0L and sunroof has been rock solid since day one now at 50K.
Mine doesn't have the towing package and Class III or 2" receiver but the smaller Class II 1 1/4". You can buy adaptors in either case.
I actually like the looks of the Limited single paint tone after having my EB two-tone for almost 4 years.
I have the CD6 head unit which I also had in an '03 Escape but it had a bigger amplifier and better speakers (MACH) which did make a difference.
I'd either ask for previous service records of maintenance with fluid changes or change them all upon delivery.

Mine is 03' V8 4.6 Eddie Bauer. I have selectable 4x4 auto, 4x4 hi and 4x4 low. I believe it is on 4x4 auto all the time unless you select 4x4 hi or 4x4 low. I think the difference between the limited and the eddie bauer is the two tone paint color and the rims. Limited is only couple of hundred more than the eddie bauer. As far as i know, eddie bauer comes standard with dual heated seat. V6 vvs V8, it just depends, can't really say that V8 is better than V6, but if you will be towing some towing, it is a big plus. My eddie bauer comes standard with sunroof/moonroof and works great. If you see a 2" hitch receiver and a 7 pin built in trailer wire connector, the vehicle comes equipped with Tow Package.

Mine is 03' V8 4.6 Eddie Bauer. I have selectable 4x4 auto, 4x4 hi and 4x4 low. I believe it is on 4x4 auto all the time unless you select 4x4 hi or 4x4 low. I think the difference between the limited and the eddie bauer is the two tone paint color and the rims. Limited is only couple of hundred more than the eddie bauer. As far as i know, eddie bauer comes standard with dual heated seat. V6 vvs V8, it just depends, can't really say that V8 is better than V6, but if you will be towing some towing, it is a big plus. My eddie bauer comes standard with sunroof/moonroof and works great. If you see a 2" hitch receiver and a 7 pin built in trailer wire connector, the vehicle comes equipped with Tow Package.

Thanks! So I assume the tow package adds the wire connector and 2" receiver. Non-tow package equipped Explorers have no connector and 1.25" receiver?

I think the 4x4 Auto is called 'Advanced-Trac' right?

Ok so I bought a 98 beater Mountaineer and it's been GREAT. It's our third car and is just used for moving people and going to Home Depot. It's been ultra-reliable and rugged. However, we want to go down to two cars. We're going to keep our Nissan Z Roadster and get rid of my g/f's Camry and the Mounty for a newer, more luxurious SUV that we can drive everyday.

Originally I was going to get an 04ish Navigator, but after seeing and driving an 03 Explorer this weekend I think we'll stick with it.

I'm fairly convinced I want the V8 AWD Eddie Bauer with 3 row seating. I have a bunch of questions:

1) Is the V8 AWD only or is it 2wd with 4wd mode? Is it offered in both AWD or 4wd or just one of them.
2) The V8 was buttery smooth and the 4.6L is a proven Ford powerplant. What do you guys think about this? I'm more confident in the longevity of the V8. Much like the 2nd generation V8 being more durable than the V6. Is the V8's transmission better than the V6s?
3) I noticed that many Explorer's tow bars use the smaller tow receiver, but some have the larger, more standard 2.0" receiver. I have a bike rack that needs a 2.0" receiver.
4) It seems that sunroofs are very hard to find in EB models, why is this?
5) Are heated and/or air conditioned seats an option on EBs?
6) What does the Limited offer that the EB doesn't? I prefer the way the EBs look but there was a limited we looked at this weekend and couldn't really see what was different.
7) What stereo options were available on the EB? They all seem to have the same CD6 headunit. Is this setup a premium sound system? My mom used to have a 91 EB and it had a nice JBL system. My 98 Mounty's stock system isn't very good.
8) Are there any issues I should look out for on 03/04 Explorers with 20-50k miles on them?

Thanks a lot!

Defiantely go with the V8, the gas mileage is about the same, plus it is a little peppier. I'll go through your questions. I have an 05 Eddie Bauer V6.

1. dont have the answer i have 2wd
2. The V8 is definately better, but the 06 explorer V8 kicks the 3rd gens.
3. Most explorers have the smaller hitch, mine originally had it, you only get the larger 2 in reciever if you opt for the 3.73 gear ration with the tow package. I have the 3.55, but someone rear ended me and I had the ford stealership upgrade me on the insurance companies penny.
4. They have sunroofs i opted against it, I am 6'6 and need all the headroom i can get.
5. I have the heated seats, air conditioned ones are not an option on the explorer, only expedition.
6. Limited offers basically different seats, obviously the exterior is one color as opposed to the tan around the base ( i preferred the eddie bauer good contrast on the color i picked).
7. My eddie bauer came with the 6 disc changer audiophile system which is a more premium upgrade. Sounds decent for stock. Has sub in the back.
8. Make sure you test drive, some of the transmissions are screwy. Mine when i first got it shifted poorly, just needed the solenoid replaced and now it shifts alot better.

Definately go for the V8, you'll be upset later if you dont. Thats the only thing i would have wished I had gotten on mine. I would have but the dealership i use didnt have any when i went in and I didnt feel like waiting. Hope this helps.

Defiantely go with the V8, the gas mileage is about the same, plus it is a little peppier. I'll go through your questions. I have an 05 Eddie Bauer V6.

1. dont have the answer i have 2wd
2. The V8 is definately better, but the 06 explorer V8 kicks the 3rd gens.
3. Most explorers have the smaller hitch, mine originally had it, you only get the larger 2 in reciever if you opt for the 3.73 gear ration with the tow package. I have the 3.55, but someone rear ended me and I had the ford stealership upgrade me on the insurance companies penny.
4. They have sunroofs i opted against it, I am 6'6 and need all the headroom i can get.
5. I have the heated seats, air conditioned ones are not an option on the explorer, only expedition.
6. Limited offers basically different seats, obviously the exterior is one color as opposed to the tan around the base ( i preferred the eddie bauer good contrast on the color i picked).
7. My eddie bauer came with the 6 disc changer audiophile system which is a more premium upgrade. Sounds decent for stock. Has sub in the back.
8. Make sure you test drive, some of the transmissions are screwy. Mine when i first got it shifted poorly, just needed the solenoid replaced and now it shifts alot better.

Definately go for the V8, you'll be upset later if you dont. Thats the only thing i would have wished I had gotten on mine. I would have but the dealership i use didnt have any when i went in and I didnt feel like waiting. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'm already dead set on getting the V8. It's just getting the right options around it: 3rd row, etc.

This one is for sale locally and it's in great condition:
http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/MultiPhotos.aspx?stocknum=3831347

Needs new tires though. The only prob is it has 50k miles where as they have a white one next to it with 30k miles for the same money. The white one doesn't have third row seating though :(

Also, we test drove a Lincoln Aviator as well and it drove really nice. 4.6L V8, 5spd Auto. It was an 03. The back seat had captain's chairs which we liked at first but long term we'd prefer the bench for more cargo and passenger room.

Are the Aviator and Explorer basically identical? Do they have the same suspension? It seemed that the Explorer's 3rd row seating was roomier???

That one seems very nice, has Advance-Trac Stability control which is a rare and very useful option, as well as side airbags.

The problems that I can think of with the '03 is that the wheel bearings wear out on them and some have transmission issues.

The Aviator's have different tuning in the suspension, steering, you also can get cooled/heated seats in an Aviator, HID headlamps, and 60+ more horsepower, also some DO have a bench seat for the rear seats, and remember that an Aviator has a 4year/50K bumper to bumper warrantee.

Wow, I really got on the Aviator I test drove and it didn't feel that quick. I figured it was the same engine as the Explorer. I may need to reconsider the Aviator. Apparently they only come in 2wd or AWD.

So what does Advance-Trac get you over the regular 4wd system? I thought all 4wd models were advance-trac? The white one I spoke of earlier also has advance-trac.

Thanks

There are some decently priced Aviators in town, only like $1,000 more than similar age/mileage Explorers. I'm concerned about long term resale on the Aviator since the model was canceled. What do you think?

Advance-trac is stability contol it was optional on '02.5-'04 Explorers (2wd and 4wd) became std on all in '05-- S.U.V with the system have shown a major reduction in roll overs. (http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html)

The Resale I wouldn't worry about -- it is a used luxury car and the person that bought it new is the one taking the bath on resale. How long do you plan on keeping it?

Advance-trac is stability contol it was optional on '02.5-'04 Explorers (2wd and 4wd) became std on all in '05-- S.U.V with the system have shown a major reduction in roll overs. (http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html)

The Resale I wouldn't worry about -- it is a used luxury car and the person that bought it new is the one taking the bath on resale. How long do you plan on keeping it?

Yeah there's a nice silver Aviator with the second row bench for sale in Houston. 2004 with 40k miles for $17,900. The pictures of it are really clean.

The problems that I can think of with the '03 is that the wheel bearings wear out on them and some have transmission issues.

Have those issues been worked out in 04?

I have the third row seat in mine with the auxulliary air and heat. I have used the third row seat maybe twice since owning the car. I guess its nice to have in case you need it, but it does take away those storage compartments in the back, plus it gives you a slope towards the rear of the vehicle. Its probably a good feature to have for resale.

I think there was a running change in '03 to a different designed wheel bearing so they wouldn't wear out.

I think that was more of a Solenoid issue on them -- some people on here had the solenoid replaced and Computer upgraded and it seemed to take care of the issues. -- you can tell on the rear wheel bearings as they will whine when you drive.

That is one thing about that Aviator you mentioned – you have 10K of Warranty left on it incase something does go wrong – you won’t have to worry.

I think there was a running change in '03 to a different designed wheel bearing so they wouldn't wear out.

I think that was more of a Solenoid issue on them -- some people on here had the solenoid replaced and Computer upgraded and it seemed to take care of the issues. -- you can tell on the rear wheel bearings as they will whine when you drive.

That is one thing about that Aviator you mentioned – you have 10K of Warranty left on it incase something does go wrong – you won’t have to worry.

The Aviator gets worse gas mileage (reportedly). As far as the wheel bearings, my 98's whine like HELL. I always thought it was the pinion gears in the rear end. It doesn't seem like the second gen guys have the same problem. I thought it was the rear end because when I bought it, the diff fluid was pretty low.

what solenoid are you referring too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what solenoid are you referring too?

There are some TSB's out for roughness or jerkyness when changing gears. One is for when the vehicle shifts from reverse to drive.

Back