04-05 V6 Spectre Intake Complete Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04-05 V6 Spectre Intake Complete Kit

CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
I hope that this will get stickied for future reference, for 04-05 V6 owners...

http://www.powerflowracing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1227

so i was on google, and stumbled across the link above. with help from the link, and a little of my own searching. I have made a complete list of required parts to finally have an " INTAKE KIT " available for our application for roughly 150 $ ( quoted price directly from spectre ) actual costs may vary. I know its not a K&N Intake, but its better than nothing...

prices are direct from spectre - just making that clear...

" Kit Parts "

1. PN - 8776 ( x2 ), couplers, 18$

2. PN - 8698, 90 degree 3'' elbow, 15$

3. PN - 8728, 22 degree 3'' elbow, 14$

4. PN - 9405, mafs adapter, 36$

5. PN - 9713, vaccum fittings, 5$

6. PN - 8136, cone filter, 32$

7. PN - 8130, heat shield, 38$ - ( Optional, but suggested )

* Thermo Wrap for the intake will help reduce some heat soak, but is optional

Hope this helps fella's !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks caldwell this really helps us 4.0 guys ... and this REALLY needs to be stickied .. what air intake setup do you have just the mod right?

yea just the Airbox Mod...

im going on vacation for a long weekend ( Firefighter's Weekend ) in Wildwood NJ :D , but when i come home ill be shopping for parts...

are you gonna get this cai when you get back?

yes fella, its in my last post...

im tired of lacking performance...

alright man be sure to post a good review of it .... im sure you will though

honestly excapt for there silicone couplers I would skip it, you can get pretty good size pipe in mandrel bend and mock just about anything up, its hard because we are MAF but you can cut thatr housing off the air box.

don;t try a 4 inch maf housing it doesn;t work without tuning. I do use specter stuff peice mill but normally do everything inbetween myself.

How are CAI with the gas milage?

ive got the airbox mod with a stock filter and ive got high 17s highway from 15 and noticed more power. the 02-03 guys with a cai ... have yall got any great mpg gains?

ive got the airbox mod with a stock filter and ive got high 17s highway from 15 and noticed more power. the 02-03 guys with a cai ... have yall got any great mpg gains?

just put k&n cai in the other day
IMG_1408.jpg

already got pretty good numbers before this used to get 17 city 22-23 hwy
now with new CAI i get 18 city and 24-26 hwy :)
the sound and power difference is incredible....

also i have a 2002 v8 4.6L

that sounds pretty good ... how much did your cai run you fedy?

The spectre one is crap. Look at the filter, its just sitting there in the engine compartment. Engine compartment temps get much higher than the incoming "cool" air. Without a divider that helps to keep the warmer compartment air "out " then your just polishing a turd. However, the K&N setup shown above is a much better filter setup. It clearly shows a divider, this helps to separate the warmer air from the cooler air, giving you a more true cool air intake.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...hicleIdForService=122521470&_requestid=940497

here is a k&n cai for us 04-05 4.0 guys ... has anyone seen this before? this is the first time ive found this

I did a little more research on that. Turns out that the Autozone Accessories page does not show any results for our X's. It just shows general products in that category. I also looked on K&N's website its for a Audi or VW. I was in disbelief when I saw a K&N CAI for our 04-10. I have a set-up that works fairly good. I'm working on getting full intake set-up.

Armysoldier...
If you really want a K&N intake do this:
Go to your local junkyards and find an 02-03 explorer, get the MAF housing off of it, and get the 02-03 K&N intake kit for the V6 explorer.

started making progress towards getting an intake system complete...

i just need to order the MAF housing, since Pepboys and AutoZone didnt have the correct part i needed...

now my major concern, is just making a hole for the vaccum line...

intakeparts.jpg

is that a reuseable air filter?

yes it is washable..

down the road i may get a K&N filter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats defiantely a plus but cant you get the filter at autozone? ive seen alot of random spectre parts but havent paid any attention to anything in particular

Back