04 4.0 Hesitation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 4.0 Hesitation

Having the same issue here mike, changed the sparks , wires, dpfe sensor, fuel filter, cleaned mad, throttle body, with no luck so far, this started after changing the sparks however.

Ticking noise coming from engine when in idle, also very hesitant when the egr valve opens, if you then give some petrol it kind of skips and stumbles but giving more petrol will get it going right?

Moreover, if you test it with the AC on and try giving it petrol does it hesitate and kind of stumble?

Still looking for a solution myself, no CEL on dash.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No improvement. Very frustrating.

Pulled plug 3, looks perfectly fine (not cracked, closed, burned or wet). The gap was set a bit wide, but that's about it. I put (another) new plug in its place, gapped to about 0.050, runs the same.

Nothing wrong looking with the wire, either.

The noise at the front of the engine persists...

EDIT: Update: Took it for a drive, the hesitation at 1500-2000 rpm appears to be gone, along with the CEL. Idle is still rough and the noise is still there.

Mike

This is ridiculous. The hesitation at 1500 rpm appears to be back. Not as bad as before, and no CEL, but definitely noticeable.

Mike

...back to running poorly, with a CEL (again)...

Mike

Same issue here Mike, I had the denso sparks installed, I bought the motorcraft ones to test, no issues with currently installed sparks.

Looking at testing the fuel pressure next as I am suspecting an issue with fuel pump, since there is no CEL on dash....

in addition, the rough idle appears when reversing with warm engine, right?

and kind of stumbling in open throttle?

Will keep you updated...

Guys if there is anyone that can shed some lights here, please do so.

Issue resolved guys after removing the denso sparks and installing the motorcraft, moreover bought myself a bottle of cataclean which improved it drastically.

I suggest you check the sparks, then make sure connection is correct,finally check for clogged cat converters and use cataclean if still in good shape.

All the best mate.

Back