04 4.6L Explorer ABS & 4x4 lights on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 4.6L Explorer ABS & 4x4 lights on.

mizestang

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport SOHC
All,

I've scanned through many of the posts around this subject, but I'm not getting the same symptoms. As soon as I start to back up, ABS comes on 4x4 blinks 8 times and it feels like 4wd is engaged. When I go into drive, hit the 4x4 auto button, truck drives normally, but ABS stays on and everytime I backup the same thing happens. I've had it scanned, came up with c1233, left front wheel sensor input failure. No other codes separate from ABS scan. What would the ABS have to do with engaging the 4x4? I've heard rear speed sensor could be an cheap fix too. I'm going to go clean ABS terminals first, but any input is appreciated.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cleaned sensors no change.:(

The bad wheel sensor is probably making it think there is wheel slippage and causing it to go into 4WD. It's probably not the ABS causing the 4X4 issue they just happen at the same time.

The bad wheel sensor is probably making it think there is wheel slippage and causing it to go into 4WD. It's probably not the ABS causing the 4X4 issue they just happen at the same time.

I found another possible cure, the hub assembly. Going to bring it in for a more thorough scan.

Back