04 Explorer Limited will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer Limited will not start

ecclesj

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
My 04 4.0L V6 made life interesting last week.

Got in to start, rolled over longer than normal, did not start so I turned the key back. Turned key forward again to retry, but got nothing, starter will not roll over.

Installed a new battery, new starter. Bench tested the new starter - works fine, have 12.5 volts across the new battery, but the starter will not roll when turning the key.

Performed checks throughout the entire starting circuit. All fuses are good, starter relay works fine. There is continuity from all wires leading to the starter. I was unable to check the wire from the PCM to the Starter relay. I jumped the starter with the ignition on. The starter rolled over but the vehicle did not start.

I'm thinking the PCM is keeping the starter relay from engaging and the motor from starting.

Any other checks I can perform? I have not read any codes yet to see if the PCM is creating my problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In '04 there is a PATSII system. I thought someone reported that the PCM lost the 'key codes' preventing a no-start. Do you have another key to try?

I did try a 2nd key, but no luck.

I put a code reader on it this morning, there were no Trouble Codes present. Even though I verified the Relay switch is working properly, I am going to replace that today.

Tried a new relay switch today. Still no luck rolling the starter.

The red anti-theft light on the dash blinks fast with I turn the ignition. This happens with both of my keys.

Could my problem be that the PCM lost the codes for my keys?

If so, is there any way to get my vehicle to start so I don't have to tow it to a dealership.

A fast blink is the indicator for incorrect PATS key. You're probably going to need to get relearned.

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Will update what is found.

I have heard that some locksmiths now have the equipment to program keys to PATS. I would call around and see if there is a locksmith with that equipment in your city - he might make a housecall too. Let us know how ya make out. Good luck.

Had the Explorer towed to the dealer today. They reprogrammed both keys. All is now good. By the way, the dealer insisted in doing an $89 diagnostic test first. However, through adamant refusal on my part, the just performed the reprogramming.

Thanks to the PATS security system:

New Battery $84
New Starter $140
New Starter Relay $10
Tow to the Dealer $112 (dealer recommendation......)
Reprogram of both keys $87

Loss of hair...........priceless

My alt went and killed the battery. PCM lost my key codes and yup - needed reprogramming. Glad you got it straightened out.

thats good u got ur explorer fixed i bet ur a happy camper now.

ecclesj: "04 Explorer Limited will not start
My 04 4.0L V6 made life interesting last week.

Got in to start, rolled over longer than normal, did not start so I turned the key back. Turned key forward again to retry, but got nothing, starter will not roll over
."

Before this happened, did your car have problems starting, or feel like the battery or the starter was failing?
My 04 4.0L V6 did the EXACT same thing yours did this morning. And before I was lucky enuff to find this post, I did the exact same thing you did minus the relay. I took the battery back, but probably need to keep starter. I A/B'd both starters with jumper cables, and the new one is definitely much stronger. Im just wondering if the weak starts I have been having was because the starter was failing or there was a coding issue. My "Check Engine" light came on about 3 days ago and the alarm light on the dash also flashes faster than usual. Please help me with ANYTHING you might think I could use. I REALLY cannot afford this right now........ Thanks

Back