• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer sun visor

frontier07

Reaction score
City, State
wellington, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
the driver side sun visor on my 04 explorer XLT is broken. it no longer stays in place, it just hangs down. the dealership wants 100$ just for the part (saying i have to get an entirely new visor and bracket) is there a way to fix this, i know this isnt an uncommon problem? also the local junkyard has an '02 explorer in the lot, would its visor/bracket fit my '04?

thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the driver side sun visor on my 04 explorer XLT is broken. it no longer stays in place, it just hangs down. the dealership wants 100$ just for the part (saying i have to get an entirely new visor and bracket) is there a way to fix this, i know this isnt an uncommon problem? also the local junkyard has an '02 explorer in the lot, would its visor/bracket fit my '04?

thanks for the help

Welcome aboard! :salute:

The '04 should fit. Have you tried eBay? That's where I got 2 to replace mine since the vanity mirror covers were broken.

i went to the junkyard and got one from the '02, im going to try to put it on. i looked on ebay briefly and couldnt really find anything. the visor from the yard was 4$ so i figured id give it a try first. i dont exactly know how im going to replace only the bracket yet though (i need to keep my orignial visor b/c the cloth on the visor from the yard was ruined)

i looked on ebay briefly and couldnt really find anything.

Nada either, or only grey, i need tan.

keep us posted on what you find . ..
My idea was to swap the bar somehow onto a new plastic mount?

I should have my 2 old visors. Like I mentioned before, I replaced them with 2 I bought from eBay because the vanity mirror covers were broken off. Everything else, including brackets are still good. They are tan in color. Let me know if you are interested and I'll ship them out, N/C.

i went to the junkyard and got one from the '02, im going to try to put it on. i looked on ebay briefly and couldnt really find anything. the visor from the yard was 4$ so i figured id give it a try first. i dont exactly know how im going to replace only the bracket yet though (i need to keep my orignial visor b/c the cloth on the visor from the yard was ruined)

I did this last night. It's not too hard, but it takes time and it's a bigger pain than it should be (it seems to me that the mounting bracket s/b made from aluminum or something stonger than plastic.) Here's what I did:

1-I went to a junkyard and removed a visor ($10) - try to get a color close to your interior. I didn't have any choice, only 1 vehicle had visors available at the junkyard that I went to. The trim piece covers all but a small "U" shaped portion of the bracket.

2-The shaft of the visor has a "mushroomed" portion that is pushed through the hole in the bracket. I used a sharp 1/4" wood chisel to shave off the mushroomed portion (to prevent breaking the bracket when removing the visor shaft.)

3-If the visor has lighted vanity mirrors, the wires need to be cut on both visors since the connector is larger than the hole in the bracket. There are 2 wires and it probably doesn't matter, but I marked 1 wire to make sure that I reconnected them the same way.

4-Remove the bracket from the junkyard visor and install it on the original visor.

5-Reconnect the wires. I used crimp-on "butt" connectors and electrical tape.

6-Reinstall the visor.

I'll try to post pics later - I need to do the other side sometime in the next week or so. It's a shame that the brackets break so frequently - poor design - my wife and I haven't done anything abusive to break them.

i helped someone on here in the past with the same problem, i resolved it by glueing the plastic back together

basically take the lights out
2011-11-02194850.jpg

then unscrew the two screws holding it in
2011-11-02194755-1.jpg

then repair the area around the little metal hook looking thing
2011-11-02195442.jpg

what happens is the plastic cracks then it doesn't lock the door closed
repair the plastic then it clip cant jump past the crack
the vanity mirror door cover will now hold itself closed again, and
not just swing open

the lights dont come out easily as to ive tried to change the bulbs and did nothing but chip the lights trying to get them out a reazor and small screwdriver arent enough.

A cheap fix for the mirror in my eyes insted of doing that would be velcro :)

Yes the lights are a pain but the velcro wouldnt hold the vanity open whem you use it

o sorry i misread i though it was the whole visor flapping down.

I assumed too im not actually sure what the op meant

Mine went bad, also. Got a new one from Evergreen parts, in Seattle. At least I THINK that was the name of the source. The bad part was that they only had TWO!! I bought one of them. But, was told, over and over again, that the part is no longer available!!!

Back