04 Explorer Trailer harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer Trailer harness

I have a 2004 Explorer with the factory harness hookup for towing, 4 plug. I bought a aftermarket product that goes into the hitch reciever on the truck with lights that light up when in reverse. Im having problems with the wiring. I need power, ground and reverse. What wire in the factory trailer wire plug in does what? Or will I need to hack into wire elsewhere. Maybe the tail lights? I looked into the reverse light and it has 2 wires, anyone know what they are? I dont know much about eletrical and this seems like such an easy task Id hate to pay someone to do it. Thanks for any and all help!!!

The 4-way flat does not have the back-up lights wiring. According to my Haynes manual the 2 wires for the back-up lights should be:

Black=Ground

Black/Pink=12 Volts

This should be the same for your '04.

So you would need to tap into the Black/Pink wire.

Hope this helps. :salute:

Thanks! It helped out. Apprecaite the help, know anything about adjusting e-brake??

There should be a rubber plug on the brake backing plate. Mine doesn't have the plugs just a knock out that has never been knocked out. Taking the rubber plug out will give you access to the adjusting screw star wheel. This is just like the adjuster on drum brakes. Use a screwdriver or brake adjusting tool to turn the star wheel until the parking brake shoes start to drag as the disc is turned, then back off the star wheel until the shoes don't drag. The e-brake shoes and components may need to be replaced. There are a bunch of threads about doing this.

Good luck. :salute:

Back