04 Explorer XLT 4WD - Dies on me... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer XLT 4WD - Dies on me...

use a brick

Reaction score
City, State
Harlingen, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
So I got my 2004 Explorer XLT 4WD about a month ago, and it's been nothing but trouble since. My girlfriend lives in a town about 20 miles away, and every time i go over there and im going down this one particular street at 30 MPH the car shuts off completely and I have to get it over and off the street and shut it down and start it back up. This isn't a major safety issue right now, but if it happens on the highway doing 80 MPH it could lead to some major problems.. The car has done this atleast 10 times.. Same road everytime. I took it back to the dealership the first time it happened, they gave me a rental and said they'd look into it, a week later they then said it was a clogged fuel filter, and that they replaced it and that it'd be fine. So the next day I am driving, same spot, it does the same thing. I take it back, they give me a rental and this time send it to a ford place, now a week later I get it back and they tell me that the Ford place went over the entire vehicle and found nothing wrong with it and that if it continues to do it that I need to take it back to the Ford place and keep taking it back there until they finally can find out whats wrong with it. I think this is complete crap and would like a new damn vehicle. They however said that they can't do anything about it unless it continues to be a problem for months to come. I talked to a lawyer who said there isn't much I can do about it, as to getting rid of it or anything. What the heck would you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Shuts Off

Any chance that the spot has high RF that could be affecting the computer?

bring a ford tech from the stealership with you and show him what happens.

use a brick said:
So I got my 2004 Explorer XLT 4WD about a month ago, and it's been nothing but trouble since. My girlfriend lives in a town about 20 miles away, and every time i go over there and im going down this one particular street at 30 MPH the car shuts off completely and I have to get it over and off the street and shut it down and start it back up. This isn't a major safety issue right now, but if it happens on the highway doing 80 MPH it could lead to some major problems.. The car has done this atleast 10 times.. Same road everytime. I took it back to the dealership the first time it happened, they gave me a rental and said they'd look into it, a week later they then said it was a clogged fuel filter, and that they replaced it and that it'd be fine. So the next day I am driving, same spot, it does the same thing. I take it back, they give me a rental and this time send it to a ford place, now a week later I get it back and they tell me that the Ford place went over the entire vehicle and found nothing wrong with it and that if it continues to do it that I need to take it back to the Ford place and keep taking it back there until they finally can find out whats wrong with it. I think this is complete crap and would like a new damn vehicle. They however said that they can't do anything about it unless it continues to be a problem for months to come. I talked to a lawyer who said there isn't much I can do about it, as to getting rid of it or anything. What the heck would you do?

You have to get off the street? why? Will it not restart if you shift to neutral and try starting it again?

rscalzo said:
Any chance that the spot has high RF that could be affecting the computer?
I have no idea, would that do it?
[QUOTE='97 V8]bring a ford tech from the stealership with you and show him what happens.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I want to, was just hoping it wouldn't come to that first because it's a lot of gas to drive out there and back for no reason... I'm broke! :(
FordLover said:
You have to get off the street? why? Will it not restart if you shift to neutral and try starting it again?
Well, by the time I notice ok it's shutting off, it's slowing down and the wheel is tightening up, so the first thing that pops into my head is get it off the road. Havn't tried that yet.

Back