'04 Limited explorer premium sound system/OEM stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'04 Limited explorer premium sound system/OEM stereo

John43528

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Limited
I own a 2004 ford explorer limited edition. I am attempting to install an iPod interface in my vehicle. The issue is that I have the 6 disc CD player and I have been unable to find a adapter that works with my stock stereo. I would like to keep my OEM stereo because I have steering wheel controls and a factory sub-woofer that I don't want to mess with. I bought a USA Spec PA11 Ford iPod interface adapter with no luck. I had done tons of research online but apparently not enough because it ended up that this particular adapter only works with a single disc CD player.

So to sum it up, I want to spend the least amount of money possible and have the following features with my audio system...Steering wheel controls, factory sub, and iPod interface (charging is preferred). My thought was to purchase a OEM stereo with a single disc but I do not know which one would work with my steering wheel controls and factory sub. I found a stereo on ebay for pretty cheap, the code on the back was 2L2T-18C868-DA. Does anyone know if this will work with my car and the components I want? If not does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to find out what color the connectors are on the back of the radio. . .black or grey as in '04 from experience they had two types of harness. Once you find the color you look forward or back a year.

My guess with premium they should be grey, therefore you'd look for an '05; black is like 97-03. Try PIE, they work with the black plugs for sure. Check the Audio section there is a post over there somewhere, upgrading audiophile sub is one of my posts. . .

Same with the radio plugs have to match. Doubtful as that looks like '02 6cd it would work but the plugs don't match, if they did same color it would work if you get it in working condition which isn't likely.

Best of luck. Sadly, I was never able to find an iPod adapter that actually worked with the '04 and '05 Explorers equipped with the phase 2 grey plugs and the OEM CD-6 headunit. I tried a few, but none actually worked (thank goodness for good returns policies), so I ended up getting an iSimple hardwired RF modulator setup - that is until I installed a new headunit. ;)

Tom

This is a picture of the front of a stereo identical to mine:
_MG_5733.jpg

This picture is identical to the back of my stereo:
_MG_5734.jpg

The suggested thread is somewhat helpful. It at least gives me an option. However, with that option I would not be able to charge my ipod as well. At this point it seems like the best bet. I would be hooking it up using the SAT port in the back. However, I am still looking for other solutions....

Best of luck. Sadly, I was never able to find an iPod adapter that actually worked with the '04 and '05 Explorers equipped with the phase 2 grey plugs and the OEM CD-6 headunit. I tried a few, but none actually worked (thank goodness for good returns policies), so I ended up getting an iSimple hardwired RF modulator setup - that is until I installed a new headunit. ;)

Tom

What other options did you attempt? Did you try connection via SAT (using a PIE product) or did you try using a USA Spec product like i did?

I tried both the PIE and the USA Spec, neither with any success. I contacted USA Spec and they said they didn't have anything for the '04/'05 phase 2 (grey) plug stereos, only for '06+ in the grey cables (my memory fails me as to why it wouldn't work, but I want to say it was the lack of CAN-BUS support in those years). I found PIE said pretty much the same thing, so I just gave in and bought the iSimple RF modulator, which included a charging cable for the iPod, and it worked reasonably well. I then decided to pick up a Pioneer AVIC-X910BT (iPod integration was not the motivating factor though), and the rest is history from there.

I didn't try any of the adapters that utilize the satellite radio input, as I have a first-generation iPod Touch as well as an iPhone (the iPhone is gone now though) - neither of which were supported. I had heard that Peripheral had a kit that may have worked, though it required quite a few expensive adapter add-ons, and no one could tell me whether or not it would actually work (plus it also lacked iPhone support, which it appears is no longer the case).

Tom

Tom,

Did you end up having to buy an radio adapter with the RF modulator you installed? This is what I am planning on doing but was curious as to if i needed an adapter or not. On the site it says it is common for newer radios to need one.

John

So to sum it up, I want to spend the least amount of money possible and have the following features with my audio system...Steering wheel controls, factory sub, and iPod interface (charging is preferred). My thought was to purchase a OEM stereo with a single disc but I do not know which one would work with my steering wheel controls and factory sub. I found a stereo on ebay for pretty cheap, the code on the back was 2L2T-18C868-DA. Does anyone know if this will work with my car and the components I want? If not does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

I do not know if this helps you or not but I have just purchased an '04 Explorer Limited with the single disc OEM stereo with steering wheel controls w/out factory sub. I will be replacing it with an aftermarket head unit within the next week. Let me know if you are interested in going that route.

If it only had the factory sub I would def have something to talk to you about but since it has not factory sub I am going to stick with the RF modulator. Thanks for the info though.

Tom,

Did you end up having to buy an radio adapter with the RF modulator you installed? This is what I am planning on doing but was curious as to if i needed an adapter or not. On the site it says it is common for newer radios to need one.

John
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "radio adapter", as RF modulators are pretty much universal by design (though sometimes you need an antenna adapter due to different vehicles using differently sized antenna plugs - though our Explorers shouldn't need one) since they plug into the antenna input to the stereo and then override any incoming signal on a predefined frequency.

I purchased the iSimple TranzIt Radio Frequency modulator from Best Buy that had provisions for both an iPod/iPhone and an auxiliary 3.5mm input. It worked fairly well and didn't sound too bad, but ever since I put my AVIC in the iSimple has just been sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust.

Tom

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "radio adapter", as RF modulators are pretty much universal by design (though sometimes you need an antenna adapter due to different vehicles using differently sized antenna plugs - though our Explorers shouldn't need one) since they plug into the antenna input to the stereo and then override any incoming signal on a predefined frequency.

I purchased the iSimple TranzIt Radio Frequency modulator from Best Buy that had provisions for both an iPod/iPhone and an auxiliary 3.5mm input. It worked fairly well and didn't sound too bad, but ever since I put my AVIC in the iSimple has just been sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust.

Tom

Do you want to sell that iSimple? Assuming you can find it and have all the parts?

John

Do you want to sell that iSimple? Assuming you can find it and have all the parts?

John
Sure. I have all the stuff with it in the original box, and I'm pretty sure I know right where it is (I'm in a one bedroom apartment waiting to move into my new house, so there are only so many places it can hide ;) ). I'll send you a PM to discuss this further.

Tom

Back