ipod connection with disc changer and DVD player | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ipod connection with disc changer and DVD player

gumbo2000

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Moutaineer
I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer with the OEM Audiophile Satellite Ready, in-dash six disk changer. I also have the OEM rear seat, flip down DVD player. I would like to be able to connect my 5th generation ipod to the stereo.

It seems like most after market products won't work with either the CD changer or rear seat DVD player.....and I have both.

Has anyone with the same audio/video setup found a product that will allow them to play their ipod thru the factory stereo?

I don't necessarily need to be able to control the ipod with the steering wheel controls. In fact, it would be acceptable if I could connect in my ipod with a standard cable attached to the ipod's headphone jack.

Basically, anything but the FM modulator!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump...I have the exact same question.

I wish that I had known the 2005 was such a problem with hooking up an Ipod when I was buying a new car. If I had known, then I might have gone with a 2006...

RYDOGG

A friend of mine re-wired his 6th disc slot to his iPod, when he goes to CD6, it plays from his iPod.. he has a mustang so I would imagine it would be the same thing in the explorers.

Can you find out more details on how he did that? Maybe a link to the part that we could order?

Thanks.

RYDOGG

On my '04 Ex, I have inputs on the Flip Down DVD in back. Display has Aux-1 input.
Suprised the mountys don't have it?

I have an 05 Eddie Bauer, and it is AUX buttons in the back by the factory DVD player that hangs down from the ceiling.

Would I be able to hook the ipod directly into this and play it through the DVD/AUX menu on the radio?

If so, what type of adaptor would I need to make it play? I wasn't sure if those AUX buttons on the actual DVD player were inputs or outputs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RYDOGG

By FM Modulator do you mean...

I tried the cigarette lighter radio type of connection and the quality was terrible. I bought an adapter at Circuit City that connects into the radio antenna and has an off/on switch and a headphone jack that connects to anything (MP3, handheld DVD, laptop...) into the stereo. It plays on a 88.7 FM (selectable) when it's turned on and the quality is good since it's direct into the antenna. The power switch is required because it cuts out the AM radio stations when it's on. I think I paid $40 for it. Easy to install due to the trim piece around the radio snaps off and there's some bolts that hold in the radio. Radio slides out easily.

I am resurfacing this thread because my son is starting to drive the Explorer and it just has to have an Ipod input. We have an 04, Audiophile, Rear DVD, in-dash CD changer, and is satelite ready. I have checked some into the PEI devices but just can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

I checked and it is possible to bring the Ipod through the RCA jacks in the overhead near the DVD screen. However, that looks just a bit tacky with wire hanging down from the ceiling.

Anybody found a slick setup to keep all the factory functionality with the addition of an Ipod?

I am trying to hook up my I phone as well and have a 2004 Explorer Limited with the same options. I saw some type of hook up at Best Buy that hooked up behind the radio. It cost around $200 so I left it there hoping to find a cheaper option. May have to give it a try though, not a lot out there that seems to work very well.

I used a small bluetooth receiver I bought at bestbuy and just wire tied it up to the RCA jack. Hardly noticeable. It runs for several hours before needing to be charged. When I charge it, I just run the cable up there. If this works out, I'll probably hide it in the little storage box in the overhead console. Need to tap off of the RCA jacks inside and add a power port, but not a big deal. Only small issue is you need to push the button on the device to turn it on. I couldn't find one that would turn on when power is connected.

Back