• Register Today It's free!

04 Oil pan removed and found this

Scott Shoup

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok, I just bought this Sport Trac a month ago and it seemed fine beside leaky oil gasket. About a week ago I started noticing a slight tinking sound coming from the engine from time to time. Researching this forum led me to the dreaded timing chain death and I have been freaking out since. I really don't know what to do as I was not able to pay cash for the entire vehicle if it dies on me now I'm screwed.Changed the oil 4 quarts oil and 1 quart high milage lucas oil treatment.

So I used a magnet and did not find any metal but did find this. It appears to be two pieces of plastic, Im guessing piece of a cassette. How screwed am I? Is there something I can do to extend the life of this or do I need to stop driving asap? I use it daily for work and drive 50 or so miles a day. Thank you for your time.
20180401_171949.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m guessing it’s time to change the cassettes. If they are starting to come apart, it’s only a matter of tine before you jump a tooth, or the plastic bits clog up the oil pickup and you starve the motor for oil. Did you find any debris in the screen?

No I checked the screen as I cleaned up all the old oil residue and did not see any other pieces. So if I replace the cassettes soon enough I might be able to get away with out replacing the entire chain?

I don’t think the chain is typically an issue, it’s the guides and tensioners. Wait too long, and it won’t be fixable.

Ok, so this is a pull the engine type job from what I have researched?

Took it to a local mechanic that specializes in pulling motors. I showed him what I found and he had me fire up the truck and rev it up past 3k rpm. I was told that was just a small chip and sense there wasn't any noise on start up ( he mentioned the chains would be loose then and tighten once the engine revs) that I was ok for now. Was told to be very careful about changing the oil every 3k miles but the motor for that many miles sounded great so I dont really know.

Best of luck. Pull the valve covers to be sure. There is a thin part of plastic that goes around the top of one of the guides (cant remember which) and you may have a piece of it there if your lucky.

Thats a good idea, either way atleast Ill know. Thanks for the input.

Still trying to figure out my best options here. If the engine needs to be pulled to do the job, would it be a better to just replace the motor with something newer or rebuilt?

Run it till it starts making noise then do them. When they start rattling at 2500-3k when driving and at idle I'd start ordering parts. What's your current milage?

190k, I recently started hearing a rattle around 2.5k rpm. Nothing at idle or start, Im just wondering with this being such a expensive fix. Is it actually worth it or just drive it till it dies and get a new motor. Of coure knowing the issue Ill be looking for a replacement asap.

You’ll still have to ‘fix’ the issue before putting a new motor in.

I just changed to AMSOIL. 2001 year, 4.0 motor, 200k on the original. engine. Had the chain rattle at start up. After oil change the rattle went away. I always ran synthetic oil, various manufacturer and weights. AMSOIL seamed to help and the motor runs smother.

I just changed to AMSOIL. 2001 year, 4.0 motor, 200k on the original. engine. Had the chain rattle at start up. After oil change the rattle went away. I always ran synthetic oil, various manufacturer and weights. AMSOIL seamed to help and the motor runs smother.
Did you stick with 5w30? Does using any other synthetic help in this situation?

Did you stick with 5w30? Does using any other synthetic help in this situation?
I am using 5W-30. I live in eastern NC. In the summer I would run 10W-40 and sometimes 10W-50. Gets over 100 during the summer. All synthetic.

Just chiming in to say any oil weight higher than 10w40 in an OHC engine is not a good idea. That is unless it has a zillion miles and needs help with oil pressure.

Back