04 Sport Trac Drivers Door Issuses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Sport Trac Drivers Door Issuses

kilo81

Reaction score
City, State
Brookhaven, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello Everyone. My problem with my Trac is with my drivers side door. When the problem started I could open my drivers side door about a 1/3 of the way and interior light and dinger would go off and if the truck was running the doors would look just like it would if the door was closed. The other morning the problem changed, somewhat. Now the truck only behaves as if the door were open when I hit the that 1/3 of the way open mark. If I move the door slightly in either direction the interior light and dinger goes off. You really have to try and find that majic spot to. If you are doing everyday running around, hopping in and out of the truck quickly it never registers and the radio will still be playing after you shut the door (very annoying). One other thing this problem is constant and only related to the drivers door.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not have this problem.

Only minor issue that I have had is with the power locks. Sometimes I will have to hit the button twice in order to lock the driver's side door. All other doors will lock the first time I press the button, but the lock motor or switch (whatever it is) in the door will make an odd noise, then I'll press it again, and it will lock. :scratch:

I'd say that this happens to me about once every 75 times I press the button.

Only minor issue that I have had is with the power locks. Sometimes I will have to hit the button twice in order to lock the driver's side door. All other doors will lock the first time I press the button, but the lock motor or switch (whatever it is) in the door will make an odd noise, then I'll press it again, and it will lock. :scratch:

I'd say that this happens to me about once every 75 times I press the button.

I have that exact same problem and it drives me crazy, only mine is 1 out 10 times or so now. Took it to two different dealerships when I was under warranty and neither one would fix it because it didn't happen EVERY time.

Kilo, sounds like you are either having a problem with the door ajar switch or the wiring itself. The door switch is actually located inside the door latch, and this is a common problem with rangers and explorers. Normally it can be fixed by spraying some wd40 or silicone spray in the door latch and opening/closing the door several times. But this problem shouldn't matter how far the door is open. If you have problems only in one spot, it may be a break in the wiring inside the door. May want to have a look at your wiring in there ;)

as of yesterday.... the window on my drivers side doesnt go all the way down.

the front part of it opens about 3 inches (close to the side rear view) but the back part (close to my seatbelt) will only go about half an inch. WTF?

I have the door lock problem also, but thats for another thread. I'm starting to think it could be in the wire boot between the door and body. I have tried wd-40 on the latch but the situation with the sweet spot seems to prove to me that it would not be the door latch. Are there any other door swithes? I will probally take a look in that wire boot tomorrow afternoon. Damn Ford, no wonder they need bailing out:rolleyes:

Back