• Register Today It's free!

'04 V-8 Towing Capacity

Rofocowboy84

Reaction score
City, State
Royersford, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
A little background on my situation here. I'm a member of Greater Philadelphia Search and Rescue. A few months ago I got an '04 Explorer XLT with the V-8 in it and class III receiver. Maybe two weeks ago, my chief asked me, since I had a V-8 and class III, if I would be willing to tow the team's trailer. I said sure, because that entitles me to certain "traffic moving ammenities" :D . Seriously though, the team's talking about getting a trailer that would be up to 6,000 lbs. My chief said that he used to tow a 5,000 lb trailer with his old V-6 explorer, so 6,000 shouldn't be a problem for mine. However, the owner's manual says I can only tow 3,175 lbs. I checked the mercury website and saw that the mountaineer can tow around 7,000. What's up with that? Does it have something to do with the reason Uhaul won't let you rent a trailer if you have an Explorer but will if you have a Mountaineer?

What do you guys/gals think?

I think with a V8 and Class III package, the explorer can go to 7100lbs. The 3000+ lb rating is for the class 2 hitches.

Back