• Register Today It's free!

'04 XLT power windows

alnaab3294

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
All 4 windows don't work. Started with fuses and found that if I reseat cartridge fuse # 6 (60A) in the engine compartment power center, they will work once or twice then stop again.
Replaced that cartridge fuse along with Circuit Breaker 62 in the power center, still intermittent. If I pull fuse #6 and reseat it, the windows will work again (a couple times).
The radio functions fine after turning off the key (so I don't suspect the Delayed Accessory Relay in the passenger compartment) but otherwise I'm having a tough time understanding.

Anyone been down this road?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a short.

All 4 windows don't work. Started with fuses and found that if I reseat cartridge fuse # 6 (60A) in the engine compartment power center, they will work once or twice then stop again.
Replaced that cartridge fuse along with Circuit Breaker 62 in the power center, still intermittent. If I pull fuse #6 and reseat it, the windows will work again (a couple times).
The radio functions fine after turning off the key (so I don't suspect the Delayed Accessory Relay in the passenger compartment) but otherwise I'm having a tough time understanding.

Anyone been down this road?

I have had a few window switches go bad. I did not have blown fuses, But I have had to replace several switches on two different 03s

First I would look for a broken wire in the door jamb on the driver's door. If all that looks good I'd say the likely cause would be the master window switch.

Thanks all, started checking the master switch last night then the freezing rain started.
Have to get back on it this afternoon then maybe on to the door jamb harness.

Damn you door jamb wiring harness

Thanks again for the help. "If at first you don't succeed, read the posts again and start over".

So, when I checked for 12v at the Blue/Black lead on the master switch, I never thought to use the ground at the switch (I was grounded on the parking brake bracket). Son of a gun, no 12v between Blue/Black and Black! Apparently the window switch has it's own ground since the locks were working fine.
Fished a green 14g through the door and all windows work consistently now.

Just a side note, I'm grounded to the dashboard frame at the moment and the window lock switch has no affect. Looks like that Black ground in the window switch passes through a relay. Someday I'll remove the parking brake assembly and connect to the under dash end of that black wire but until then the wife is happy.

Thanks again for the replies and direction.

Back