05 Explorer thumping or bumping noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer thumping or bumping noise

jfairbank

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, VA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Eddie Bauer Explorer
My 05 EB Explorer 4x4. Has made a thumping or bumping noise since day one. The dealer has said it is the tires. It now has 48k miles on it and I had a tire blow out on it. I replaced the tires, I put Mich 245/65 17 on it. The noise is worse and I can feel it in the floor and pedals now. When I turn the wheel just slightly to the right it smooths out. When I turn left or hard right the bumping continues. I don't think it's the tires. I can't believe the cv joints would be bad at 48k. The vehicle has never been off road. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CV's can be bad from day one. Have u taken the Ford tech for a ride to show him?

Yes, but that was a couple years back. They had me convienced it was the tires. I guess a road trip is in order and of corse it's out of warranty now.

Yes, but that was a couple years back. They had me convienced it was the tires. I guess a road trip is in order and of corse it's out of warranty now.

No it's not out. When you took it in it was under warranty and now the same problem exists so Ford has to warranty it.

well let you know what happens when I return to the dealer....

You are most likely going to have to "lay the law down" on them, they may yada yada this and that trying to say it out of warranty. Just remind them and let them know it was in warranty when you brought it in and you know there was a problem that wasn't fixed while it was under warranty due to a misdiagnosis.

Good luck

Update: Just got a call from the dealer. They said the right hub bearing is trying to come apart. They want $395.00 to replace it. I told them they needed to replace it under warranty, since I have been complaining about this since the Day I bought it back in '05. They of course said no. :mad: I'm calling Ford directly to see what I can get done, because the records clearly show this is not the first time I have complained about this. I'm just glad my daughter wasn't driving it when the bearing decided to fall apart. Will update you all on the outcome.

Thumping and bumping is gone, I feel I have a brand new vehicle. :D It was the right hub. Driving it home last night was the first time since I have owned it that I had not heard some kind of thumping noise. Now as for warranty, FORD corp. is refusing to help or cover the issue, but I am not done yet. I'm sending letters on up the chain to see if I can get some of my $$ back. So far I'm out $391.00

I wish you luck!

This is why I will continue to carry my Prepaid Legal. I think and know, cause I used to work dealerships, that they have to pay. This is where I'd let my Prepaid take over.

Good luck though man. Keep at it cause it's about principle.

Back