05 explorer upper control arm questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 explorer upper control arm questions

oneeyemike

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 xlt
I have a question about my 05 explorer (production date 6/05) and have to replace my drivers side upper control arm ball joints and control arm bushings. Doesn anyone know about the moog control arm assy for these. The specs for it says they are for vehicles after 7/05. The only other ones i can find are dormans but i would like to stick with moogs if possible. Are dormans good products? any input would be appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G'day, rockauto list's the moog replacement part for a 2005 but does not differentiate between build dates in that year.

http://www.rockauto.com/

They offer a discount code in the vendor section too!

Even on that website the moog arm assy says they are for after 7/19. Any more suggestions?

It's not too bad if you want to just replace the ball joint with the control arm still installed in the truck. There's a "how to" thread on it at the top of the stock 2002-2005 forum.

Why do you need to replace your control arm bushings? I do not often hear about this needing to be done so just curious.

I was getting a bad vibration/chatter when going into right curves. After inspection i noticed that there was some abnormal movement in the front bushing when we were checking the ball joints that the other side didnt do. The ball joints on that side are bad as well but the other side is fine. I was planning on doing the whole upper control arm assy and about to purchase the moogs when i noticed the footnote about vehicles after 7/19. None of the other brands specify any difference on an 05. Just not sure about how i want to go about it. I know i can buy all the bushings and ball joints seperate, but the cost is more individually with no control arm vs. the complete assy. I would hate to rebuild the control arm and it turn out to be bent or damaged. Any advice??

In your case then I'd replace the whole assembly on that one side then. It will be a little less expensive to replace the other side's ball joint with a Moog, but you might just get another control arm assembly for the other side just for peace of mind.

Not sure what to tell you on the compatibility question. If it were me I'd just order it and see if it works after comparing the replacement with your old arm. I don't know what they would have changed in mid '05....the suspension didn't really change until the '06 models.

Back