2002 Explorer - Strut, Shock, control arm questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer - Strut, Shock, control arm questions...

Bughracing

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Howdy! I just purchased a 2002 Explorer XLT 2wd with right under 100,000 miles and have a few questions about the suspension. The truck doesn't seem bouncy, but it's definitely not tight when going over bumps. I've tried the old trick of pushing on the front and rear to see how many times it bounces, but it springs back after one bounce. I guess my main question is how long do the stock coilover struts/shocks last on these Explorers? I can get the stock Ford replacements for about $300 for the set or the Monroe #931321 (front) and Monroe #931322 (Rear) set for about $350. Any recommendation one way or the other... or any other brands that are better? I've installed regular car/truck shocks many times before, but have never installed these coilover type shocks. Are these any different to install? Do you have to purchase the coil springs separately, do they come with them, or do you just reuse the stock ones?

The next question is about the upper control arms. The rubber seal around the ball joint is blown out on both sides. I've been told there is no way to replace just the ball joint on factory upper control arms. Is that correct? Is this going to cause a problem and they need to be replaced, or should I just keep them greased?

Sorry for all of the questions, but any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
Jon

I was at 75K when a shop told me BOTH rear coil springs were broke, as well as several other rear suspension issues. Yes were broke, in several pieces. If you look closly you can see if they are broke. Got springs and struts from dealership, wish they came pre-assembled but they dont. A good coil spring compressor from parts store was like 50 bucks so I just bought a cheappy one from Harbor Freight Tools (the sell nice single use tools). If you elect to take the route and compress the spring yourself be VERY careful. Maybe save yourself the hassle and just have a mechanic install the strut into the spring, you need the old set available and this will need taken apart for the mounting plates and other parts needed for the new set. I tried getting the struts from a Auto store but they kept giving me the wrong ones so I purchased everything from the dealereship. Dont know anything about the uppeer control arm so can not help with any answer there, but I know you have to do some heavy prying on the lower are to get the strut/spring assembly out and back in.

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look at the coils tonight!

Back