drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
SOLVED '05 roof rack crossbars

Anyone here know how to put the crossbars back in on an '05? Or is that something that would be in the owners manual?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you take your existing off or installing new factory crossbar? If you're installing new ones, completely un thread the plastic loops from side rails. Install crossrails onto the stud and rotate in place. You may need to order new loop screws. They need a longer thread otherwise it won't tighten down. That's how it was for my 2003.

My rig was side rail only, and I have a set of crossbars from the salvage yard. What I need is to access the side rails to insert the end fittings. I am guessing that the end cap must come off, but it was cracking the plastic cap, so I am holding off to hear from someone who knows how to access the end caps. '05 I believe lacks the easy access flap of earlier models. Thanks so much for your reply.

Still need to get this done.

I dont know about 04 and 05, but on all my 03's, You need a hex bit for one end and unscrew the loop bolt, Then the cross bar will pop out/ off the little bracket deal, then at the rear of each rail, there should be a little snap in cap on the inside where the bars slide. I can grab pics of everything later today, I just pulled some from my parts truck last night, My Mounty didnt come with cross bars, which I swapped in when I got it.

Look for the little 1x1 clip thingy where the cross bars stop when all the way back. Or the blank plates since you dont have the cross bars yet. You'll have to take the covers off the plate things that are there, pull them out of the end one "end" of the plate at a time, it flexes. Same with the new pieces for the cross bars, then pop the cross bars back onto the bracket thing with the hex head screw, then the loop bolt, kind of a pita to not knock the little nut thing off once in there. If I get pics together before you figure it out, You'll see what Im talking about.

If yours doesn't have the little clip thingy inside, I'll take pics of my end covers too, and if they match yours, I'll send them to you for whatever shipping costs. I just popped mine off to save them for whatever. Dont know if they'll work for what you need if yours dont have the little clip in dealies but if I can help I will.

Thanks for the reply Duranged, I'm afraid a 2005 lacks the handy access flaps. The whole end covers will have to be popped off, I just not sure how to do it, I cracked one already.

Bump

Bumper

I don't have any crossbars on mine, but a friend had a snowboard rack installed on his and the ends of the crossbars were shaped like an "I". You put the crossbar in the middle so the "I" was laying down, inserted it in the rail, pulled it to be perpendicular and then rotated it 90 degrees to make the "I" stand up and lock into the rail.

I don't know anything other than that, but it was pretty easy for him. I will look at my roof rack this morning to see if I can tell anything.

Thanks for the reply ape, I just don't know how to pop the end caps to feed said brackets in. I cracked one end cap, so I backed off hoping someone knew how to remove it. Thanks again for your help.

Solved

Thanks Dick, I never caught your reply until today, but I finally got this done, just like in the link you provided. I inserted my gasket scraper in from behind, raising the cover trim slightly, then brought the plastic cover trim rearward until it released from the yellow panel clip. Then I was able to insert the track hardware in, flexing it slightly as it went in. As a side note, the cross bars I had were pre-2005 and were about an inch short, but I bought another set off eBay for 2005-2007 and they fit perfectly. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back