• Register Today It's free!

05 x 4.6 underdrive pullys

mikefe

Reaction score
City, State
chicago,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 explorer limited
any one know if there is any company making underdrive pullys for a 4.6 explorer or if some mustang / thunderbird ones work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is gained by this mod? Is it tough to do? Are other mods required to make it work the best? I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck on HP/gas milage... if that isn't a funky combination to shoot for

I don't think its funny. I am trying for that as well.

This mod frees up Hp by reducing drag on because of the accessories. From what I have been told its pretty easy to do but will take a couple of hours.
Read this thread for the what it does.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/....php?p=1377150

This is what I was told from rocket 5979

You will need a harmonic balancer puller to pull the balancer, 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet to twist the belt tensioner to take the serp belt off, and a small ratchet and I believe an 8 mm socket to take the clutch fan cowl off, then also a clutchfan wrench set as well. Keep in mind that your harmonic balancer center bolt likely has a tip too big to fit through the hole in the stock balancer that crank bolt goes through. You will have to back the crank bolt out a few turns and then tighten the puller center bolt onto that crank bolt to pull the pulley off a bit then loosen the puller center bolt and unscrew the crank bolt a little further, then repeat that process until the pulley finally comes off. If you can find a balancer puller who's center bolt will go through the harmonic balancer hole then it will be a snap and you can skip most of my previous two sentences. I haven't seen one that small yet, but they may be out there. Be careful as the back of the center bolt for the balancer puller will probably be very close to your radiator while doing this.

If you do not run into any problems then expect the job to take a little less than 2 hours if you are an experienced wrencher. Even less if you have a puller with the smaller center bolt.

No if you have the 4.6L the center bold and puller should work just fine. I recommend getting a haynes manuel. It talks about getting the first pully off and even shows some pictures.

As far as gas milage goes I have been told to go intake, exhaust, pullies, electric fan, computer tune and run all synthetic fluids. That should net you a few extra mpg. I just recently had most of the same questions answered so I still have them in my mind.

thanks for the reply!

The u/d pulley set is very well worth the investment. I believe it is the best bang for the buck.-j

so no other u/d's form other 4.6 engines work? thanks for the heads up going to order mine asap! as far as the electric fan has anyone done this? what keeps the condencer and rad cool a constant running fan? any oyher posts on electric fans?

Back