06-10 V8 issues?

JonL51

Reaction score
City, State
West Branch, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009, Explorer XLT
Hi guys,
I've been looking around the site and elsewhere on the internet, and couldn't really find anything so please let me know if this is just a rehash of a old thread. But I'm looking around for a new vehicle because my 09 4.ohno is breaking left and right, mostly minor things but I know the trans is probably next. and I was wondering if there were any real issues with the V8 edition of the exploader. I found some decent looking ones online and I was contemplating trading in for one.

Thanks in advance:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand your search frustration - there have been many questions like this before but I cannot find them.
So - there are many problems - and they are common enough to be inevitable. Question is - can you do your own work? Common problems can be expensive as they are very labor dependant - but they are cheap if you provide the labor. I really like my Explorer V8 - but it would have been gone a long time ago if I didn't work on it myself.

The V8 is great, powerful and can tow 7200# Try and stay away from aux rear heat, all the hose clamps rot out and start leaking.

Definitely v8 is the choice. Parts are cheap, but time consuming to replace them so as Eddy said, labor is the main maintenance cost here. Otherwise, very comfortable, multi purpose and capable platform. I have had mine for 10-11 years and do not see a replacement for it any time soon.

Here's what you can look forward too. Avoid the 6, they are a ticking time bomb. Get a late model 08 or later v8, they are the most solid of the bunch. The early ones had the spark plugs that break off in the heads, that was fixed late model 08. The only other common issue is the exhaust manifold studs that break off in the heads because the thin manifolds warp under heat and the studs aren't strong enough to hold them down. Its a PITA to do as well, because the rear studs are hiding behind everything. Up here they ding you a grand a side to do them in a private shop, probably half that in the US. Other then that they are pretty strong. Hub assemblies on the front every couple years, but that's an hour job in the shop.

yeah I have the 6 right now, i just call it the 4.0hno. I found a couple 09 v8s down in Florida (im in Michigan) that looked decent but I cant decide if i would rather save up a bit more and get a 5.4 f150. my mechanical skills extend pretty much to what i can find on YouTube. honestly i love everything about the explorer except how hard it is to fit bigger tires under it :D. But from what Im gathering the v8 is smaller stuff that's more maintenance over full blown fixing stuff in the v6?

The V8 is great, powerful and can tow 7200# Try and stay away from aux rear heat, all the hose clamps rot out and start leaking.
you mean the ones with the the controls for the back seat?

Hope those V8's in Florida haven't seen any flood waters.
5.4 F-150's 3V also have problems with broken manifold studs, plus problems with the cam phasers

07EddyB sums it up.

Hope those V8's in Florida haven't seen any flood waters.
5.4 F-150's 3V also have problems with broken manifold studs, plus problems with the cam phasers

07EddyB sums it up.
thats what im hoping also, seems weird a 09 limited v8 is only 10k. darn about the 5.4, my dad had one, i think it was 08 or 07 but i loved that truck.

The only other common issue is the exhaust manifold studs that break off in the heads because the thin manifolds warp under heat and the studs aren't strong enough to hold them down... Hub assemblies on the front every couple years, but that's an hour job in the shop.
X2. I have a '06 Mountaineer with the V8, and it's about to turn 170k. The exhaust manifolds leak and make a ticking sound that gets a little quieter once it warms up. I've replaced both front wheel hubs, and need to do them again, along with the rears. I replaced the radiator about 10k ago. Other than that, no issues.

Back