06 Explorer Aftermarket Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer Aftermarket Radio

bman289

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Hi All,

I'm considering ditching the factory radio (6 Disc Changer Unit) on my 06 Explorer Limited and replacing with an aftermarket allowing iPod connection, etc. I hate to lose the steeing wheel controls when I replace though.

Has anyone done this lately that can recommend a good head unit for retaining steering wheel controls? I believe I have the factory sub but wouldn't swear to it...

I was thinking maybe double-DIN along these lines:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KWXR810/JVC-KW-XR810.html?tp=5684

Thanks for any advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been kicking around the same thing, but here's my problem. I have the stock rear DVD player. I want to upgrade to an aftermarket GPS unit but I'm worried that I'll either lose steering wheel controls, OR, the connectivity to the rear DVD player, or have to sacrifice my "aux in" to use on the DVD player, thus putting me back to where I started, no way to hook up an MP3 player (in my case, my BlackBerry).

yes you would lose something, since I don't have anything in my AUX it will be a nice addition (and long overdue)

Has anyone looked into a nav unit with blue tooth? I'm just starting to look around and thought someone here might have already done some research!

Has anyone looked into a nav unit with blue tooth? I'm just starting to look around and thought someone here might have already done some research!

I have the Pioneer AVIC Z110BT (now the 120BT) and love it. It has navigation, built in bluetooth for phone calls and audio, great ipod control, voice commands, etc.. With the appropriate interface (I used PAC C2R-FRD1) it's really plug and play with the option to preserve rear seat video if you have it. I also added the PAC steering wheel controller to retain use of the wheel controls. I had the factory navigation and it would be very hard to go back !

I swapped mine out for the Kenwood DNX 9960 and added a Axxess ASWC for the steering wheel function. This unit is eveything you need. Supports dual zone i.e. dvd rear and whatever you want in the front. Navigation, Hands free, bluetooth streaming, ipod control and tons more. I am sure there are other brands out there which do a similar thing, but I needed a DD unit which supported Garmin maps as well.

I installed a JVC - KW-NT1 with 6.1" screen and loves it. The face is removable and the upgraded version of this is the NT3. Also check out the JVC BT7000 or Pioneer Z110 and 910BT or Pioneer 9960. The one you choose will depend on your budget. My unit is a Factory Refurbished at 1/2 the price of the new one.
Check out Sonicelectronix.

Has anyone found one of these with built in storage? Seems that's the way to go rather than messing with your iPod all the time.

I have the Pioneer AVIC Z110BT (now the 120BT) and love it. It has navigation, built in bluetooth for phone calls and audio, great ipod control, voice commands, etc.. With the appropriate interface (I used PAC C2R-FRD1) it's really plug and play with the option to preserve rear seat video if you have it. I also added the PAC steering wheel controller to retain use of the wheel controls. I had the factory navigation and it would be very hard to go back !

I'm doing almost the exact same thing. I already have the PAC C2R-FRD1 and PAC SWI-PS harness installed with a Pioneer head unit, but i just ordered the AVIC-Z120BT. I also have the rear seat entertainment (RSE).

My plan is to use one of the two A/V inputs on the Avic (input 2) for the 2 rca jacks from the RSE. This will allow me to play the RSE's audio though the speakers with the same functionality as factory.

If anyone has any questions about installation of any of the aforementioned equipment feel free to message me.

As an added bonus for my rear seat passengers i am going to run rca's from the output on the Avic to the input on the RSE. This will allow me to play movie, tv shows or other videos from an ipod, sd card or usb device on the RSE while still using the front screen for music and navigation.

I may run the rca's to the rear center console (captains chairs) and add an A/V switch to allow additional input sources to be used (game console, camera, etc).

If anyone has any questions about the installation of the aforementioned equipment just message me and I'll try to help.

With the C2R-FRD1 can you hook up the reverse sensors to the unit? If not how do I hook up the sensors without having an extra display for the distances etc?

With the C2R-FRD1 can you hook up the reverse sensors to the unit? If not how do I hook up the sensors without having an extra display for the distances etc?

There's an output for reverse gear but not sensors. Why would you have to do this ?

I just installed a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD in my 06 XLT. It has connections for steering wheel remote. I put in Pioneer TS-A6872 speakers and the combination sounds incredible. You can add bluetooth, navigation, HD radio, and a rear backup camera.

what color wire did you use on the pac to tap into on the radio and so on i got the pac for pioneer and triging to hook it up but cant seem to figure it out can you help please.

what color wire did you use on the pac to tap into on the radio and so on i got the pac for pioneer and triging to hook it up but cant seem to figure it out can you help please.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...mountaineer-coastal-lockpick.html#post9945029

2007 mercury mountaineer

picture.php

watching movie from ipod
picture.php

view of the back up camera
picture.php

night vision camera,
picture.php

inside the tailgate this is the grommet for license plate lights,
picture.php

this is a picture of where all the clips are located on the rear gate trim panel
picture.php

i fished the headliner to the front a pilar
picture.php

inside truck there is a conduit for the wiring.
picture.php

going into the tail gate, tight fit grease wires before pulling!
picture.php

reverse wire at driver side kick panel

nexted thing will be headrest lcd dvd monitors, does anybody have suggestions on what brand or size to get?

Back